In addition to being one of the most popular teams in MLB, the New York Yankees are also one of the most successful with 27 World Series titles. Their long-standing rivalry with the Boston Red Sox is just one of the many reasons millions of fans tune into their games each week, with Yankee nuts watching around the world.
However, keeping up with the Yankees can be hard without an expensive cable TV subscription and even then you could still miss out on watching local games thanks to MLB blackouts.
Below, you’ll find our quick and easy guide to live stream all the games the New York Yankees play this season. We’ll point you towards all of the different ways you can legally stream the games in the US and if you’re outside the country we’ll walk you through the process of setting up a VPN so that you can see your favorite baseball team play from anywhere in the world.
How to live stream the Yankees online
When it comes to streaming baseball online, your first choice has to be MLB.TV. Not only does it have the most extensive game coverage, but the devices it supports are really varied, too.
You can watch every out-of-market regular season game live on MLB.TV. Or if you prefer to see the games in HD you can view them on demand. MLB.TV’s out-of-market yearly packages are the best for value and you can choose whether you want to watch all the teams in the league for $115.99 a year or just follow a single team for $89.99 a year.
MLB.TV works on all of the most popular streaming devices including Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and many others so you’ll never miss a game no matter where you are.
Live stream the Yankees in New York, during blackout games and outside the US
If there is no official broadcast option in your country or a game is not playing locally on MLB.TV due to an MLB blackout, you'll need to use a VPN to dial in to a location in the US that does have coverage. A VPN is perfect for this as it allows you to change your IP address so you appear to be in a completely different location. We've tested hundreds of VPNs and can recommend these as the best three VPNs currently available:
1. Express VPN (comes with a 30 day money back guarantee)
This is the #1 rated best VPN in the world right now. You can watch on many devices at once including Smart TVs, Fire TV Stick, PC, Mac, iPhone, Android phone, iPads, tablets etc. Check out Express VPN
2. NordVPN: SmartPlay tech makes NordVPN a great choice for streaming.
3. VyprVPN: blazing speeds make VyprVPN a great choice for 4K video
If you live in New York and don't want to pay for local cable television just to watch some baseball, catching the Yankees live is made very difficult for you. Because the MLB agrees exclusive rights for those stations, MLB.TV can't broadcast as the action happens. You have to settle to watch the game 90 minutes after it ends.
But using a VPN is a handy - and legal - way around this. Once you've signed up to an MLB subscription, grab one of our recommended VPNs and log in. Then use a server in another state and watch the Yankees do their thing.
Other ways to watch the New York Yankees online
MLB.TV won't be for everyone. If you want a paid option that includes other television and sports, then going for a more all-encompassing plan might be better for you. Below are some other options to consider.
But remember that the same applies if you're trying to watch the Yankees within New York or are trying to watch a blackout game - you'll need a VPN to do so, so check out how to do that above.
Thanks to a deal between Facebook and Major League Baseball, you can stream 25 afternoon games in the US for free right from the social network. All of the games will take place on weekday afternoons (primarily on Wednesdays) at the MLB Facebook page, but this is a free option that gives you a taste of what it’s like to be able to stream MLB games from your browser.
Following in Facebook's footsteps, Twitter has the right to live stream an MLB game every week during the regular season. Again, these will be on weekday afternoons. You can check out the all the upcoming games at live.twitter.com/MLB.
ESPN+ will offers fans a dynamic lineup of live sports, popular original shows and films, exclusive studio programs and an unmatched on-demand library. And it's really cheap, costing only $4.99 per month.
When it comes to MLB, ESPN+ will feature one MLB game each day, seven days per week throughout the MLB regular season. That means it isn't the most comprehensive option for Yankees obsessives. But if you’re interested in following the MLB as a whole and want to catch up with other big games, than this service could be a good fit.
The best of the rest for streaming the Yankees:
- DIRECTV NOW $50 per month - DIRECTV NOW gives users all the channels needed to watch MLB online and also comes with some extra channels as well. If you want a lot of content to choose from and don’t mind watching the games live as the service doesn’t include cloud DVR, then DIRECTV NOW’s 7-day trial will let you test out the platform.
- Sling TV $40 per month - Sling TV is an inexpensive way to watch baseball though you’ll be missing out on games shown on the MLB Network. The service splits its content into two different TV packages which does make things cheaper though to stream MLB you’ll need to sign up for both. Sling TV is compatible with Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One, Chromecast as well as lots of other devices and its easy to get started with a 7-day free trial.
- fuboTV $19.99 for the first month - fuboTV has a low introductory price though after that the price goes up to $44.99 a month and includes 70 channels. Unfortunately it does not have ESPN, MLB Network or TBS though it does offer strong local coverage and 30 hours of cloud DVR storage. fuboTV does has a 7-day trial available so you can test out its functionality for yourself.