It's time for your daily round of Wordle hints, expertly crafted to help you keep your streak going even on the toughest of days.
You might think that you don't need any clues for Wordle today, but remember: failure in this game is only ever six guesses away.
Below, you'll find a selection of Wordle hints to guide you in the right direction. You don't have to use them all, but there are five in total should you need them, covering vowels, starting letter, ending letter and more. And if you don't have time to play at all, you can see the answer, too.
Want more word-based fun? My Quordle today page contains hints and answers for that game, which remains the best of all the main Wordle alternatives.
SPOILER WARNING: Wordle hints and today's answer are below, so don't read on if you don't want to see them.
Marc is TechRadar’s UK Editor in Chief and has been playing Wordle for more than a year. He's authored dozens of articles on the game for TechRadar and its sister site Tom's Guide, including a detailed analysis of the most common letters in every position. His Wordle streak just reached the 500 mark and he'll be inconsolable if he loses it. Yes, he takes it all too seriously.
Wordle hints (game #716) - clue #1 - Vowels
How many vowels does today's Wordle have?
• Wordle today has three vowels*.
* Note that by vowel we mean the five standard vowels (A, E, I, O, U), not Y (which is sometimes counted as a vowel too).
Wordle hints (game #716) - clue #2 - first letter
What letter does today's Wordle begin with?
• The first letter in today's Wordle answer is E.
We don't get many Wordle answers that start with an E - though it's the most common letter in the game, it's only the 14th most likely to begin a solution.
Wordle hints (game #716) - clue #3 - repeated letters
Does today's Wordle have any repeated letters?
• There is one repeated letter in today's Wordle.
Repeated letters are quite common in the game, with 748 of the 2,309 Wordle answers containing one. However, it's still more likely that a Wordle doesn't have one.
Wordle hints (game #716) - clue #4 - ending letter
What letter does today's Wordle end with?
• The last letter in today's Wordle is I.
I is a really unlikely letter to end a Wordle answer. Only 11 of the game's 2,309 original solutions finish with one, making it just the 19th most common in this position.
Wordle hints (game #716) - clue #5 - last chance
Still looking for more Wordle hints today? Here's an extra one for game #716.
- Today's Wordle answer is so boring I can't be bothered to solve it.
If you just want to know today's Wordle answer now, simply scroll down - but I'd always recommend trying to solve it on your own first. We've got lots of Wordle tips and tricks to help you, including a guide to the best Wordle start words.
If you don't want to know today's answer then DO NOT SCROLL ANY FURTHER BECAUSE IT IS PRINTED BELOW. So don't say you weren't warned!
Today's Wordle answer (game #716)
Today's Wordle answer (game #716) is… ENNUI.
I'm not on a good run of Wordle scores at the moment. My average across 518 games is 3.69, but in the past week it comes in at 4.0 and in the past three days… well, it's a pretty poor 4.38. Today ended up being another 5/6, to go with the one I scored for Saturday's tricky NANNY.
In mitigation, it has been a tough run of Wordles, and today's was another difficult one. In fact, ENNUI could be considered one of the trickiest answers we've had in the past week, certainly in terms of the word itself. While ENNUI - a "feeling of weariness and boredom" - is a perfectly legitimate word, and a nice one at that, it's not necessarily an obvious Wordle answer. Nor is it easy to find, with the double whammy of a repeated N and an uncommon I at the end. And I really is uncommon in the final letter position - ENNUI is one of only 11 Wordle answers to feature one, and we've had only one prior example so far, KHAKI in game #421 (August 2022).
WordleBot says it has an average score of 4.3, but I suspect many people will find it harder to solve than that might suggest. That's because ADIEU, the most popular Wordle start word, performed very well today, leaving a mere eight possible solutions. ADIEU players may well have solved it in 3/6 or 4/6 as a result (or even 2/6 potentially), thus bringing down an average that could easily be close to 5.0 otherwise.
Certainly the best Wordle starting words (a list on which ADIEU doesn't feature) were a lot less helpful. WordleBot's favorite, SLATE, left 329 possible solutions and my pick, STARE, left 249. SLANT, TRACE, CARTE and CRATE were all similarly high.
I didn't know I had 249 answers to whittle down, but I knew there were lots of them. My priorities for the second guess were to establish where the E was and play some more consonants, which I attempted with BLEND. That worked to an extent, giving me a yellow N to go with the E, but the vowel stayed stubbornly yellow too.
There followed a game of chase-the-E, with my next two guesses, WENCH and MONEY, both failing to place it while simultaneously failing to uncover any other letters at all.
By the fifth guess, I was getting worried - and also running out of letters to play. I now knew the E has to be at the start, at least, because I'd already played it everywhere else. So my word was E-N--. But what could that be? Most of the remaining letters didn't fit nicely between the E and N, but my two remaining vowels, I and U, didn't seem to go there either. Finally I realized a repeated N might work; seeing ENN-- written down triggered something in my memory and I spotted ENNUI, by now the only possible answer remaining. Frustrating!
How did you do today? Send me an email and let me know.
Yesterday's Wordle hints (game #715)
In a different time zone where it's still Sunday? Don't worry - I can give you some clues for Wordle #715, too.
- Wordle yesterday had two vowels.
- The first letter in yesterday's Wordle answer was B.
- There were no repeated letters in yesterday's Wordle.
- The last letter in yesterday's Wordle was T.
- Yesterday's Wordle answer is a monster.
Yesterday's Wordle answer (game #715)
Yesterday's Wordle answer (game #715) was… BEAST.
Well this one was quite a lot easier than yesterday's game, which had an average of 5.2 according to WordleBot. The 'bot says that today's puzzle is only taking people 3.6 guesses, and that's no surprise when you consider the letters in use.
All five are very common, with B the third most likely letter to start a Wordle answer, A and E the two most common letters overall and T and S firmly nestled in the top 10.
Admittedly, S is quite a lot less common outside of the first position in an answer, but when it's not there it does regularly appear alongside a T at the end; that ST combination occurs 36 times across Wordle's 2,309 original answers.
The fact that so many of these letters are common ones means that many of the best Wordle starting words were incredibly helpful today. My choice, STARE, left just four possible solutions; SLATE and LEAST left three.
In my case, that meant I had a simple choice between BEAST, LEAST, FEAST and YEAST for my second guess, and no chance of losing my streak even if I had to work through all four of them.
I could therefore have gone for broke and played one immediately in the hope of getting a 2/6, but odds of 1/4 were still too low for me, and I couldn't recall any of the four as having been a past Wordle answer, which would have cut it down a bit.
So instead I played FLYBY, which would guarantee me getting a 3/6. If the F turned green, it would be FEAST; if the L turned yellow, it would be LEAST; the Y would indicate YEAST and the B would signal BEAST.
The latter scenario was the one that played out and I gratefully took my 3/6 after several tricky games in the previous days.
Wordle answers: The past 50
I've been playing Wordle every day for more than a year now and have tracked all of the previous answers so I can help you improve your game. Here are the last 50 solutions starting with yesterday's answer, or check out my past Wordle answers page for the full list.
- Wordle #715, Sunday 4 June: BEAST
- Wordle #714, Saturday 3 June: NANNY
- Wordle #713, Friday 2 June: HUMID
- Wordle #712, Thursday 1 June: JAZZY
- Wordle #711, Wednesday 31 May: AGILE
- Wordle #710, Tuesday 30 May: KNEEL
- Wordle #709, Monday 29 May: MOUSE
- Wordle #708, Sunday 28 May: SKIMP
- Wordle #707, Saturday 27 May: RAMEN
- Wordle #706, Friday 26 May: SWINE
- Wordle #705, Thursday 25 May: BAGEL
- Wordle #704, Wednesday 24 May: UTTER
- Wordle #703, Tuesday 23 May: CLERK
- Wordle #702, Monday 22 May: IGLOO
- Wordle #701, Sunday 21 May: BRASH
- Wordle #700, Saturday 20 May: FLASK
- Wordle #699, Friday 19 May: GRIEF
- Wordle #698, Thursday 18 May: SHORN
- Wordle #697, Wednesday 17 May: PLANK
- Wordle #696, Tuesday 16 May: LATTE
- Wordle #695, Monday 15 May: CANOE
- Wordle #694, Sunday 14 May: SCARF
- Wordle #693, Saturday 13 May: ACRID
- Wordle #692, Friday 12 May: SNACK
- Wordle #691, Thursday 11 May: BROOM
- Wordle #690, Wednesday 10 May: ETHIC
- Wordle #689, Tuesday 9 May: COCOA
- Wordle #688, Monday 8 May: AGLOW
- Wordle #687, Sunday 7 May: GHOUL
- Wordle #686, Saturday 6 May: ANGER
- Wordle #685, Friday 5 May: BELOW
- Wordle #684, Thursday 4 May: GUPPY
- Wordle #683, Wednesday 3 May: HORDE
- Wordle #682, Tuesday 2 May: SULKY
- Wordle #681, Monday 1 May: RANGE
- Wordle #680, Sunday 30 April: PLAZA
- Wordle #679, Saturday 29 April: CEDAR
- Wordle #678, Friday 28 April: CIRCA
- Wordle #677, Thursday 27 April: LOGIC
- Wordle #676, Wednesday 26 April: METRO
- Wordle #675, Tuesday 25 April: JOKER
- Wordle #674, Monday 24 April: DITTO
- Wordle #673, Sunday 23 April: UNZIP
- Wordle #672, Saturday 22 April: BROKE
- Wordle #671, Friday 21 April: KAYAK
- Wordle #670, Thursday 20 April: PLATE
- Wordle #669, Wednesday 19 April: THUMP
- Wordle #668, Tuesday 18 April: HOUND
- Wordle #667, Monday 17 April: WHIFF
What is Wordle?
If you're on this page then you almost certainly know what Wordle is already, and indeed have probably been playing it for a while. And even if you've not been playing it, you must surely have heard of it by now, because it's the viral word game phenomenon that took the world by storm last year and is still going strong in 2023.
We've got a full guide to the game in our What is Wordle page, but if you just want a refresher then here are the basics.
What is Wordle?
Wordle challenges you to guess a new five-letter word each day. You get six guesses, with each one revealing a little more information. If one of the letters in your guess is in the answer and in the right place, it turns green. If it's in the answer but in the wrong place, it turns yellow. And if it's not in the answer at all it turns gray. Simple, eh?
It's played online via the Wordle website or the New York Times' Crossword app (iOS / Android), and is entirely free.
Crucially, the answer is the same for everyone each day, meaning that you're competing against the rest of the world, rather than just against yourself or the game. The puzzle then resets each day at midnight in your local time, giving you a new challenge, and the chance to extend your streak.
What are the Wordle rules?
The rules of Wordle are pretty straightforward, but with a couple of curveballs thrown in for good measure.
1. Letters that are in the answer and in the right place turn green.
2. Letters that are in the answer but in the wrong place turn yellow.
3. Letters that are not in the answer turn gray.
4. Answers are never plural.
5. Letters can appear more than once. So if your guess includes two of one letter, they may both turn yellow, both turn green, or one could be yellow and the other green.
6. Each guess must be a valid word in Wordle's dictionary. You can't guess ABCDE, for instance.
7. You do not have to include correct letters in subsequent guesses unless you play on Hard mode.
8. You have six guesses to solve the Wordle.
9. You must complete the daily Wordle before midnight in your timezone.
10. All answers are drawn from Wordle's list of 2,309 solutions. However…
11. Wordle will accept a wider pool of words as guesses – some 10,000 of them. For instance, you can guess a plural such as WORDS. It definitely won't be right (see point 4 above), but Wordle will accept it as a guess.