Nikon D5500 vs D5300 vs D5200 vs D5100: 04 Continuous shooting
• D5100 4fps
• D5200 5fps
• D5300 5fps
• D5500 5fps
Faster processors can often allow faster continuous shooting speeds too, but while the D5200 boasts a slight speed increase over the D5100, up from 4fps to 5fps, the new D5300 sticks with the 5fps maximum continuous shooting speed, as does the new Nikon D5500.
Nikon says the Expeed 4 processor has been used for improved image quality and not higher continuous shooting speeds.
Nikon D5500 vs D5300 vs D5200 vs D5100: 05 Autofocus
• D5100 Multi-CAM 1000 AF sensor with 11 AF points including 1 cross-type
• D5200 Multi-CAM 4800DX AF sensor with 39 AF points including 9 cross-type
• D5300 Multi-CAM 4800DX AF sensor with 39 AF points including 9 cross-type
• D5500: Multi-CAM 4800DX AF sensor with 39 AF points including 9 cross-type
The big step-change in autofocus systems came between the D5100, which used a basic 11-point AF system, and the Nikon D5200, which swapped to a much more advanced 39-point AF system only one step down from Nikon's professional cameras.
Nikon keeps that same 39-point AF system for the new D5300. It's fast and powerful for a camera in this class, and happily the company has decided to keep this for the Nikon D5500.
Nikon D5500 vs D5300 vs D5200 vs D5100: 06 Viewfinder
• D5100 Optical pentamirror, 95% coverage, 0.78x magnification
• D5200 Optical pentamirror, 95% coverage, 0.78x magnification
• D5300 Optical pentamirror, 95% coverage, 0.82x magnification
• D5500 Optical pentamirror, 95% coverage, 0.82x magnification
All three cameras use a pentamirror viewing system rather than a more expensive pentaprism design. It's perfectly adequate for this kind of camera, though, and the Nikon D5300 features a redesigned pentamirror which offers slightly increased viewfinder magnification, and it's this one that Nikon sticks with for the D5500.
PAGE 1 - Nikon D5500 vs D5300 vs D5100 vs D5200: Sensor, ISO range, Image processing
PAGE 2 - Nikon D5300 vs D5200 vs D5100: Continuous shooting, AF & Viewfinder
PAGE 3 - Nikon D5300 vs D5200 vs D5100: LCD display, Effects & Movie modes
PAGE 4 - Nikon D5300 vs D5200 vs D5100: Wi-fi and GPS, Construction, Battery & Price
PAGE 5 - Nikon D5300 vs D5200 vs D5100: What we think
Nikon D600 vs D700: which camera is the better upgrade?
Nikon D600 vs D7100: which DSLR should you choose?
Nikon D7100 vs D7000: 13 things you need to know
Canon EOS cameras: 100 things you never knew they could do
Canon EOS 70D vs Nikon D7100