Each year, when the Prime Day deals roll around, the members of my running club message me asking for advice on the best deals, so they don't have to spend time trawling for the hidden treasures.
This year, Amazon's running watch deals are particularly strong, with good savings on Garmin and Polar devices. Not all of these are the latest models (you won't find the brand new Forerunner 55 on sale, for example), but even slightly older Garmin watches stand up well, and the company has a track record for updating its firmware to add new features, so even previous-gen watches are a good investment.
There are also some great deals on sports nutrition, including electrolyte tabs, energy gels and bars. Perhaps not something you'd usually look for on Prime Day, but it's a great opportunity to stock up and especially if you're thinking of starting slightly longer or more intense runs soon.
US Prime Day deals for runners
Garmin Instinct Tactical Edition:
$299.99 $179.99 at Amazon
Save $113 If you thought the regular Instinct was tough, this watch goes one further, built to military standards and in a range of earthy colorways. It's never been this cheap before, so sneak up and grab one while Prime Day lasts.
Garmin Vivoactive 4:
$269.99 $189.99 at Amazon
Save $80 We're fans of the Vivoactive 4 smartwatch at TechRadar, so it's good to see such a big discount on it for Prime Day. This gray and silver model hit $219.99 just before Christmas, but this is the first time it's ever dipped below the $200 mark.
$269.89 $219.99 at Amazon
Save $50 The Venu is one of Garmin's most striking smartwatches, thanks to its vivid AMOLED screen. The newer Venu 2 offers a couple more features, but this is still a top-notch device. It's been hovering around the $260 mark all year so far, and this Prime Day offer is the best genuine deal we've seen.
Aftershokz Trekz Air:
$119.95 $89.95 at Amazon
Save $30 - This is a regular Amazon deal rather than a Prime Day one, but it's the cheapest these bone conduction headphones have ever been. I've used them for many years myself, and can heartily recommend them for running while being aware of your surroundings.
Nuun Energy Electrolyte Tablets:
$25.34 $17.94 at Amazon
Save $7.40 Nuun electrolytes are delicious, but usually expensive. For Prime Day there's a third off this pack of 40 caffeine-infused tablets, so you can justify switching out your usual ones. The watermelon flavor is particularly tasty.
UK Prime Day deals for runners
Garmin Forerunner 45:
£159.99 £105 at Amazon
Save £54.99 The Forerunner 45 is one of Garmin's entry-level running watches, and is back to its Black Friday price for Prime Day. It usually hovers somewhere around the £140 mark, so this is a great deal if you're getting serious about running and looking to make the step up from a Fitbit.
Polar Vantage M:
£249 £149.95 at Amazon
Save £99.05 - The Polar Vantage M is the predecessor to this year's M2, but there's not a huge difference between the two, and it's a great mid-range GPS running watch that gives heaps of training insights. It usually hovers around the £180 mark, so this is a solid Prime Day deal.
Xiaomi Mi Smart Watch Lite:
£54.18 £41.29 at Amazon
Save £12.89 - a great choice for runners on a super tight budget, this little fitness watch offers a dozen workout modes sleep tracking, stress monitoring, and on-board GPS, which is almost unheard of at this price bracket. It's well made, too. A real bargain.
TicWatch Pro 3:
£289.99 £195.36 at Amazon
Save £94.63 This is one of the best Wear OS smartwatches for runners, and it's never been below £200 before. It's big and bright, with a fast Snapdragon 4100 chipset, high resolution display and three-day battery life. This is the GPS version, but there's also an LTE/4G version available for a little more.
£79.95 £63.96 at Amazon
Save £15.99 We rarely see Aftershokz headphones in the sales – at Amazon or anywhere else. They'e a great choice for runners, allowing you to hear what's happening around you while enjoying your favorite tunes or podcasts. The OpenMove haven't had a price cut since their launch in September 2020. However, we did find them pretty uncomfortable to wear for extended periods.
Hyperice Hypervolt Massager:
£259 £181.30 at Amazon
Save £77 - This cordless massage gun is a great deal on Prime Day, with 30% off the regular price. It's powerful but quiet, and comes highly recommended by publications including GQ and Runner's World, among others. It's proving super popular, so grab it before it sells out.
More Amazon Prime Day deals in the US
- Amazon devices: up to 50% off for Prime Day
- Amazon Fire tablets: record low prices now starting at $44.99
- Amazon Echo (4th Gen): $99.99 $59.99 at Amazon
- Amazon Echo Dot (4th generation): $49.99 $24.99 at Amazon
- Adidas: up to 45% off footwear and apparel
- Audible Premium Plus: save 53% on your first 4 months
- AirPods: now starting at just $99
- Apple Watch Series 6 (40mm, GPS): $399 $329 at Amazon
- Calvin Klein: up to 45% off CK underwear and bras
- Card and board games: Up to 30% off games for all ages
- Chromebooks: up to 25% off Lenovo, HP and Samsung
- Deals under $25: save on games, smart home, fashion and more
- Fashion: big name brands from $14
- Fitbit: up to 30% off Fitbit Sense, Inspire and more
- Garmin: save up to 30% on smartwatches
- Headphones: save on Sony, Beats, Bose and more
- iPad (8th generation): was $329 now $299
- Keurig: up to 35% off K-Slim pod coffee maker
- Kitchen: save up to 42% on Cusimax, Cosori, Instant Pot and more
- Laptops: Chromebooks, MacBooks and gaming laptops discounted
- Lego Super Mario: sets from $11
- Levi's: up to 40% off Levi's jeans, shorts and jackets
- New Balance: up to 30% off shoes and sneakers
- Nike: save on NBA jerseys, sneakers, and more
- Monitors: displays from LG, Asus, and Alienware up to 38% off
- Nintendo Switch: save $10 on Pro Controller and select games
- Oral care: up to 50% off Oral B, Crest, Glide and more
- PS5: games now starting at $29.88
- Ray-Ban: up to 25% off adults and kids sunglasses
- Razer: PC gaming accessories up to 50% off
- Roomba: save up to $300 on robot vacuum cleaners
- Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones: $348 $248 at Amazon
- Smartwatches: Samsung Galaxy Watch from $159
- Subscription boxes: 65% off for Prime members
- Tommy Hilfiger: up to 50% off designer clothes and accessories
- TVs: Fire-enabled smart TVs starting at just $99.99
- Under Armour: up to 30% off sportswear, shoes and gym accessories
More Amazon Prime Day deals in the UK
- Amazon Echo devices: up to 50% off - starting from £9.99
- Amazon Echo Dot: £49.99 £24.99 at Amazon
- Amazon Echo Show 5 (2019): £79.99 £39.99 at Amazon
- Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet: £89.99 £39.99 at Amazon
- Audible Premium Plus: Prime members get 3 months for 99p
- AirPods: now starting at £119.99
- Blink Mini security camera: now just £21.99 for Prime members
- Cookware: up to 68% off pans, bakeware and utensils
- Deals under £15: save on games, smart home, fashion and more
- Electric toothbrushes: save over 60% on Oral-B brushes
- Fashion: big savings on Amazon brands starting at under £5
- Headphones: Jabra headphones from £69
- iPad (2020) - 32GB: lowest price ever - now £299
- Kindle: now starting at just £49.99
- Kitchen: Dolce Gusto coffee machines from £59 and more
- Laptops: cheap PCs starting at just £199
- MacBook Air M1: £100 off at Amazon - now £899
- Nintendo Switch: bundles from £299
- Nike: save on apparel and trainers
- Pets: food, shampoo and toys up to half price
- PC games: EA titles including The Sims 4 from £7.49
- Prime Video: channel add-ons 99p for three months
- PS5: Demon's Souls, Immortals and more discounted now
- Smart home: Ring Video Doorbell from £35 and more
- Smartwatches: Fitbit Charge 4 now £99 and more
- Sports nutrition: over 50% off protein powder
- Toys: up to 42% off Funko, Lego, LOL Surprise and more
- TVs: 4K smart TVs from £298
- Wine and beer: save up to 50% on red, whites and lager
- Xbox: blockbuster favourites from £19.99
Sign up to receive daily breaking news, reviews, opinion, analysis, deals and more from the world of tech.
Cat is the editor of TechRadar's sister site Advnture. She’s a UK Athletics qualified run leader, and in her spare time enjoys nothing more than lacing up her shoes and hitting the roads and trails (the muddier, the better)