UPDATE (4/8/2022): Vodafone has announced it’s expanding its 5G trial to more providers using its network, with eligible Internode and Westnet mobile plans now getting free 5G access alongside TPG, iiNet, Kogan and Lebara customers.
Eligible plans from Internode include its 40GB plan for AU$15p/m and its 55GB plan for AU$20p/m. Similarly, Westnet customers on its 40GB plan for AU$15p/m and its 55GB plan for AU$20p/m also now get free 5G access until October 26, 2022. Our original story continues below.
If you’ve got a mobile plan with TPG, iiNet, Kogan or Lebara, we’ve got some potentially good news – Vodafone has just opened up 5G network access to eligible plans from these providers (which all operate on the Vodafone network), and you won’t pay anything extra to trial it for the next three months.
You won’t even need to opt-in with your provider to get free 5G speeds, but you will need to have a 5G-capable phone, and you’ll need to live or work where Vodafone’s 5G coverage is available. You’ll also need to ensure 5G connectivity is switched on in your phone’s settings.
As mentioned, only select plans from TPG, iiNet, Kogan and Lebara are eligible, and in most cases, the eligible plans are the more expensive options. Here’s every plan where you can now trial 5G for free until October 26, 2022.
TPG plans trialling 5G
- TPG 45GB plan | AU$15p/m (first 6 months, then AU$30p/m)
- TPG 60GB plan | AU$20p/m (first 6 months, then AU$40p/m)
iiNet plans trialling 5G
- iiNet 40GB plan | AU$15p/m (first 6 months, then AU$29.99p/m)
- iiNet 55GB plan | AU$20p/m (first 6 months, then AU$39.99p/m)
Kogan plans trialling 5G
- Large 365 day plan (300GB) | AU$270 for 365 days
- Extra Large 365 day plan (500GB) | AU$300 for 365 days
- Large 365 Flex plan (300GB) | AU$270 for 365 days
- Extra Large 365 Flex plan (500GB) | AU$300 for 365 days
- Extra Large plan (80GB, 12-month contract) | AU$30p/m (first 6 months, then AU$40p/m)
Lebara plans trialling 5G
- Medium 30 Day plan | AU$29.90
- Large 30 Day plan | AU$39.90
- Extra Large 30 Day plan | AU$49.90
- Extra Extra Large 30 Day plan | AU$69.90
- Medium 90 Day plan | AU$80
- Large 90 Day plan | AU$105
- Medium 180 Day plan | AU$140
- Large 180 Day plan | AU$180
- Medium 360 Day plan | AU$250
- Large 360 Day plan | AU$300
What other providers have 5G mobile plans?
Telstra, Optus and Vodafone all offer 5G mobile plans, but you can also get it from smaller providers – known in the industry as mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) – who resell access to one of the big three’s networks.
Aldi Mobile, Boost Mobile and Woolworths Mobile (all Telstra MVNOs) offer 5G connectivity on select mobile plans, while Aussie Broadband, Spintel and Southern Phone also have select 5G-ready plans via Optus’ network.
While there’s a decent amount of choice available if you want a 5G mobile plan, what’s particularly exciting about Vodafone opening up its network is just how cheap a 5G mobile plan can now be.
As we’ve highlighted above, the cheapest 5G plan on Vodafone’s network is TPG’s 45GB plan, which you can now get for just AU$15 a month for the first 6 months. That’s pretty compelling value compared to what competitors are offering.
The most affordable option from Telstra’s network is Boost’s 5GB for AU$20. Meanwhile, there is one Optus-powered 5G plan which is pretty good value – you can get 80GB for AU$40 a month from Spintel, which we've recommend as one of the best SIM-only plans in Australia.