You never have enough storage, that's one of the unwritten laws of technology. That's why manufacturers have been defying physical limits to cram as much bytes as possible in as small a volume as possible.
The first 8TB hard disk drives have surfaced at an affordable price but still no trace of a 10TB hard disk drive. I covered as much ground as possible but if you find anything major missing out, would like to report a price mistake or broken link, please flag it up in the comments.
Best external portable USB powered drives (2.5-inch) deals
- 500GB @Ebuyer £32.99
- 1TB @Amazon @£41.90
- 2TB @Pixmania @£64.99
- 4TB @Argos @£189.99 (you get a free £10 voucher as well)
Best Internal 2.5-inch laptop drives deals
Best external desktop drives (3.5-inch) deals
- 2TB @BTShop @£56.98
- 3TB @BTShop @£74.98
- 4TB @Eclipse Computers @£82.28
- 5TB @PC World @£119.99
- 6TB @Ebuyer @£199.99
- 8GB @Amazon @£229.99
Best Internal desktop drives (3.5-inch) deals
- 2TB @Amazon @£54.39
- 3TB @Amazon @£73.99
- 4TB @CCL @£107.58
- 5TB @Morecomputers @£141.35
- 6TB @Box @£187.73
- 8GB @BT Shop @£202.08
Best SSD deals
- 60 to 64GB @Amazon @£23.87
- 120 to 128GB @Amazon @£35.67
- 240 to 256GB @Amazon @£66.57
- 480 to 512GB @Amazon @£134.99
- 960 to 1TB @Ebuyer @£279.99
- LaCIE 2TB Wireless HDD @Lambdatek @£151.25
- Toshiba Canvio AeroMobile 128GB Wireless SSD @Amazon @£103.99
- 500GB Seagate Seven @Amazon @£94.99
- 4TB Seagate 3.5-inch hybrid HDD @LambdaTek @£127.66
- 1TB Seagate 2.5-inch hybrid HDD @CCL @£62.98
What you need to know
- I chose not to go for some low/interim capacities (1TB for 3.5-inch internal,320GB/750GB for 2.5-inch)
- We haven't accounted for high differences between 2.5-inch drives (7mm, 9.5mm, 12.5mm and 15mm).
- Sometimes, internal hard disk drives are more expensive than external hard disk drives. That's down to demand and supply mechanisms.
- Specifications, Reliability, features or performance haven't been taken into account when drawing this list, only price/TB.
- Everyone has his favourite brand and horror stories to tell.
- Speaking of brands, there are only three hard disk brands around; Seagate/LaCIE/Samsung, Toshiba, Western Digital/HGST.
- Backup, backup, backup.
- This pricelist will be updated every month. Prices do vary a lot. To find the right Amazon price, look for the "other sellers" tab.
- Some drives are currently on preorder.
- No refurbished, no ex-display, no second hand, only from reputable UK vendors, price doesn't always include delivery.