HDMI cables can be a scam – some companies package them in braided wrapping with pretty colors, add a fancy name, and then charge you 20 times (or more) than what it’s actually worth. But with HDMI cables, the only really important thing is the specifications, and this Amazon Prime Day bargain has what it takes.
If you’re thinking about buying one of the best 120Hz 4K TVs and want to pair it with a next-gen gaming console (PS5 or Xbox Series X), chances are you’re also going to need to upgrade that old HDMI cable you bought along with your first Blu-ray player, PlayStation, or Xbox. That’s because the HDMI 2.1 connections used by the new consoles and TVs support 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz video signals, and such a data-intensive load requires a higher-bandwidth cable for throughput.
The main spec you’ll want to see associated with an HDMI cable that supports HDMI 2.1 features like 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz video is 48Gbps bandwidth. A cable meeting that requirement should have no problem passing through the highest-resolution video at the highest frame rates, and is really the only one you’ll need going forward. Will we ever see sources with 16K video and 240Hz frame rates? Never say never, but if so, it will be well into the distant future.
For now, this Amazon Basics High-Speed HDMI cable has you covered. And at just $5.80 for a 1-meter run, it’s an excellent deal. Depending on how close your game console is to your TV, a 1-meter length might be too short; in that case you’ll want to double the length to 2 meters, a cable length that Amazon also now has on sale for just $9.35 – a 22% savings.
With nearly all A/V gear going wireless, from speakers and soundbars to headphones, there aren’t that many cables you still need in your life. An HDMI cable is one exception, because wireless transmitters capable of supporting 4K/120Hz video arent yet a thing. If you own one cable, it should be a 48Gbps high-speed HDMI cable, and this Prime Day deal makes buying one a no-brainer.
Amazon Basics High-Speed HDMI Cable:
$7.59 $5.80 at Amazon Save 24% (1 meter) / $11.99 $9.35 at Amazon Save 22% (2 meters) - At just $5.80 for a 1-meter run, this 48Gbps HDMI cable is a great Prime Day score. The cable’s high-bandwidth spec supports 4K/120Hz video, making it a perfect choice for connecting a PS5 or Xbox Series X console to a compatible TV. Only $5.80 for the last cable you’ll ever need to buy – why would you wait?
Prime Day 120Hz 4K TV deals
LG C1 48-inch OLED 4K TV:
£949 now £799 at Amazon
Save £150 - This fantastic OLED TV originally cost £1,699, so it's now over half price compared to its launch. More recently, its lowest-ever price had been £899, so it's dropped to a full £100 less that its previous best. It's absolutely unmissable at this price: its stunning OLED panel provides beautiful HDR and colors, and its image processing makes everything look sharp and realistic. And it's a gamers paradise, with four HDMI 2.1 ports, all of which support 4K 120Hz and VRR (including FreeSync and G-Sync). It's also one of the few TVs in the world to support Dolby Atmos gaming at 120fps. We gave it five stars in our LG C1 review.
LG 55-inch C1-Series OLED TV:
$1,499.99 $1,096.00 at Amazon
Save 27% - LG’s 55-inch C1-series OLED is being sold at its lowest price yet – a 27% savings over the original cost. Though slightly higher than Sony’s A80K OLED, for the money you’re getting a gaming-friendly 120Hz display, HDMI 2.1 connectivity, and fantastic all-around picture quality– something we documented in our review. This is a very good deal on a solid and future-proof TV, so grab it while it lasts.
Sony A80J 55-inch OLED TV:
$1,298 $998.00 at Amazon
Save $300 - To get any Sony OLED TV for under $1,000 is a steal, especially since this cost $1,699 when it was released in 2021. But this is double good for PS5 fans, because it's a 'Perfect for PlayStation 5' TV, so it's got 4K 120Hz and VRR support, and has an HDR mode unique to Sony TVs for improved contrast from the console. It's also fantastic for movies, thanks to the company's XR Cognitive Processor.
LG 77-inch B1-Series OLED TV:
$3.499 $2,196 at Amazon
Save $201 - LG’s 77-inch B1 series OLED TV is being let go at its lowest-ever price: $2,196. This step-up model from the company’s A1 series OLEDs offers 120Hz refresh rate, Dolby Vision IQ, and G-SYNC, FreeSync, VRR, and HGiG support for gaming. If a 77-inch OLED TV fits in your world, then this is a Prime Day deal to make room for.
More Prime Day deals
- Alexa devices: Fire TV Stick and Echo Dot from $12
- Adidas: 50% off sneakers and sportswear
- Apple: Apple Watch 7 at the cheapest price yet
- Back to school: backpacks and stationery discounts
- Beauty: Laneige, Grande Cosmetics, and more up to 40% off
- Board games: up to 50% off Catan, D&D, Ticket to Ride, and more
- College essentials: bedding, decor and cleaning sale
- Cooling: portable fans from $16.99
- Fashion: 66% off clothing, shoes and jewelry
- Groceries: up to 31% off everyday essentials
- Headphones: Sony's top-rated headphones and earbuds for 35% off
- Health: Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes for $110 off
- Home: 30% off Levoit Air Purifiers
- Kindle: up to 50% off all Amazon ereaders
- Kitchen: up to 52% off air fryers, blenders, coffee makers and more
- Laptops: Chromebooks from $99
- Mattresses: $450 off Casper mattresses
- PC gaming: gaming laptops and desktops from $599.99
- Phones: Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra - biggest price cut yet
- PS5: register for the next PS5 restock
- Smart home: Echo Show 5 smart display for $34.99
- Smartwatch: up to $225 off Garmin smartwatches
- Tablets: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 - save up to $120
- TVs: Smart TVs from $89
- Vacuums: save on Shark, Roomba and Bissell
- VR: Oculus Quest with a free $25 gift card
- Wearables: Samsung Galaxy Watch and Galaxy Buds up to 40% off