Without a doubt one of the hippest events on the film and TV awards calendar, the 37th Independent Spirit Awards celebrates the best TV shows and films of the year that may have escaped your radar because there weren't billions of big studio dollars promoting them. Get a grip on what you really ought to be watching by tuning into the 2022 Independent Spirit Awards live stream online and on TV, wherever you are.
Date: Sunday, March 6
Time: 5pm ET / 2pm PT / 10pm GMT / 9am AEDT
Venue: Santa Monica Pier, California
US live stream: IFC or via FuboTV FREE trial (opens in new tab) or Sling (opens in new tab)
Watch anywhere: try the world's best VPN 100% risk-free (opens in new tab)
The Oscars' offbeat sibling who doesn't always play nice at dinner parties, the Independent Spirit Awards is now in its 37th year, and as proudly alternative as it's always been. To give you a flavor of what to expect, past winners include Pulp Fiction, Mystic Pizza, Memento, and Dirty Dancing - all classics by modern standards.
Zola, the black comedy based on a Twitter thread, has racked up seven nominations at this year's show, ahead of psychological drama The Novice with five, and The Lost Daughter, and Wild Indian, which are up for four accolades each. Watch out for nominated British shows It's a Sin.
From breakout hits threaded together on a shoestring, to slower-paced, reflective productions, it's guaranteed to reveal something a little different for your watch-list. Read on as we explain how to watch a 2022 Independent Spirit Awards live stream from anywhere. We've also listed the 37th Independent Spirit Awards nominees further down the page.
- Related: how to watch It's a Sin online from anywhere
How to watch 37th Independent Spirit Awards: live stream in the US
The Independent Spirit Awards is being televised on IFC. The show starts at 5pm ET / 2pm PT on Sunday afternoon.
If you have the channel as part of your cable package, then you're good to go.
Watch 2022 Independent Spirit Awards without cable
If you don't have IFC on cable, it's available via the excellent cable replacement services FuboTV (opens in new tab) and Sling (opens in new tab).
Fubo's entry-level Starter plan comprising over 100 channels for $64.99 a month - after you’ve enjoyed its FREE FuboTV trial deal (opens in new tab), of course.
Sling also has a FREE trial (opens in new tab). Sign-up with no commitment for three days to watch IFC and other channels for free. It's $35 per month thereafter but you can cancel at any time.
Outside of the US? Watch the 2022 Independent Spirit Awards just like you would at home with the help of a quality VPN (opens in new tab).
- More great TV: how to watch The Underground Railroad online
How to watch the 37th Independent Spirit Awards live from anywhere
Unfortunately, if you try to watch your US coverage of the 37th Independent Spirit Awards from somewhere outside the States, you'll soon find a problem - geo-blocking.
That's where the broadcaster prevents you from watching your usual feed from abroad. It's a common problem for streamers all over the world, but there's an easy solution.
ExpressVPN - get the world's best VPN (opens in new tab)
We've put all the major VPNs through their paces and we rate ExpressVPN as our top pick, thanks to its speed, ease of use and strong security features.
It's also compatible with just about any streaming device out there, including Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, Xbox and PlayStation, as well as Android and Apple mobiles.
Sign up for an annual plan and you'll get an extra 3 months absolutely FREE (opens in new tab). And if you change your mind within the first 30 days, let them know and they'll give you your money back without a quibble.
Once you've chosen and installed your VPN of choice, simply open the service's corresponding app, hit 'choose location', select the appropriate country and you'll be able to watch the broadcast as if you were back at home.
- Try ExpressVPN 100% risk-free for 30 days (opens in new tab)
Can I stream the 2022 Independent Spirit Awards around the world?
At the time of publication it looks like the 37th Independent Spirit Awards is only being televised in the US.
The only alternative is to use one of the best VPN service providers to tap into coverage from the US, as described above.
The software is generally ideal for this as it allows you to change your IP address and appear to be in a completely different location - and all through a safe, encrypted connection. But do bear in mind that most paid streaming services do require a credit card based in the same country as the service.
- Related: how to watch Reservation Dogs online from anywhere
37th Independent Spirit Awards nominations - film
- A Chiara
- C'mon C'mon
- The Lost Daughter
- The Novice
- Janicza Bravo – Zola
- Maggie Gyllenhaal – The Lost Daughter
- Lauren Hadaway – The Novice
- Mike Mills – C'mon C'mon
- Ninja Thyberg – Pleasure
Click here to see the full film nomination list
Best Male Lead
- Clifton Collins Jr. – Jockey as Jackson Silva
- Frankie Faison – The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain as Kenneth Chamberlain Sr.
- Michael Greyeyes – Wild Indian as Makwa
- Udo Kier – Swan Song as Pat Pitsenbarger
- Simon Rex – Red Rocket as Mikey Saber
Best Female Lead
- Isabelle Fuhrman – The Novice as Alex Dall
- Brittany S. Hall – Test Pattern as Renesha Bell
- Patti Harrison – Together Together as Anna
- Taylour Paige – Zola as Aziah "Zola" King
- Kali Reis – Catch the Fair One as Kaylee "K.O." Uppashaw
Best Supporting Male
- Colman Domingo – Zola as Abegunde "X" Olawale
- Meeko Gattuso – Queen of Glory as Pitt
- Troy Kotsur – CODA as Frank Rossi
- Will Patton – Sweet Thing as Adam
- Chaske Spencer – Wild Indian as Teddo
Best Supporting Female
- Jessie Buckley – The Lost Daughter as Young Leda Caruso
- Amy Forsyth – The Novice as Jamie Brill
- Ruth Negga – Passing as Clare Bellew
- Revika Reustle – Pleasure as Joy
- Suzanna Son – Red Rocket as Strawberry
- Nikole Beckwith – Together Together
- Janicza Bravo and Jeremy O. Harris – Zola
- Maggie Gyllenhaal – The Lost Daughter
- Mike Mills – C'mon C'mon
- Todd Stephens – Swan Song
Best First Screenplay
- Sheldon D. Brown and Matthew Fifer – Cicada
- Lyle Mitchell Corbine, Jr. – Wild Indian
- Shatara Michelle Ford – Test Pattern
- Fran Kranz – Mass
- Michael Sarnoski and Vanessa Block – Pig
Best First Feature
- 7 Days
- Queen of Glory
- Test Pattern
- Wild Indian
Best Documentary Feature
- In the Same Breath
- Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
- Ante Cheng and Matthew Chuang – Blue Bayou
- Lol Crawley – The Humans
- Tim Curtin – A Chiara
- Eduard Grau – Passing
- Ari Wegner – Zola
- Affonso Gonçalves – A Chiara
- Ali Greer – The Nowhere Inn
- Lauren Hadaway and Nathan Nugent – The Novice
- Joi McMillon – Zola
- Enrico Natale – The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain
Best International Film
- Compartment No. 6 ( Estonia, Finland, Germany, Russia)
- Drive My Car (Japan)
- Parallel Mothers (Spain)
- Pebbles (India)
- Petite Maman (France)
- Prayers for the Stolen (Mexico)
37th Independent Spirit Awards nominations - TV
Best New Scripted Series
- It's a Sin
- Reservation Dogs
- The Underground Railroad
- We Are Lady Parts
Best New Non-Scripted or Documentary Series
- Black and Missing
- The Choe Show
- The Lady and the Dale
- Nuclear Family
- Philly D.A.
Click here to see the full TV nomination list
Best Male Performance in a New Scripted Series
- Olly Alexander – It's a Sin as Ritchie Tozer
- Murray Bartlett – The White Lotus as Armond
- Michael Greyeyes – Rutherford Falls as Terry Thomas
- Lee Jung-jae – Squid Game as Seong Gi-hun
- Ashley Thomas – Them: Covenant as Henry Emory
Best Female Performance in a New Scripted Series
- Deborah Ayorinde – Them: Covenant as Livia "Lucky" Emory
- Jasmine Cephas Jones – Blindspotting as Ashley Rose
- Thuso Mbedu – The Underground Railroad as Cora Randall
- Jana Schmieding – Rutherford Falls as Reagan Wells
- Anjana Vasan – We Are Lady Parts as Amina
Best Ensemble Cast in a New Scripted Series
- Reservation Dogs – Paulina Alexis, Funny Bone, Lane Factor, Devery Jacobs, Zahn McClarnon, Lil Mike, Sarah Podemski, and D'Pharaoh Woon-A-Tai