Ravers blinded by lasers

Who would have thought throwing shapes could be so dangerous?

Revellers at an outdoor rave in Moscow were nursing more than hangovers this week when the laser show that accompanied music at the festival started blinding them.

The light show was at Aquamarine Open Air Festival in Kirzhac, near Moscow. So far 29 people have been taken to hospital, with what is severe scarring on their retinas.

Speaking to Kommersant, a local Russian newspaper, an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) at one of the hospitals said: "They all have retinal burns, scarring is visible on them. Loss of vision in individual cases is as high as 80%, and regaining it is already impossible." Ouch!

Laser-eye treatment

The laser damage is said to have happened because of the use of outdoor lasers indoors.

Torrential rain meant that the open air festival wasn't actually open air, but in a tent. The reflection of the lasers in the tent hit the crowd instead of the sky and damaged many of the partygoers' vision.


Content Team Lead

Marc (Twitter, Google+) is the content team lead for Future Technology, where he is in charge of a 14-strong team of journalists who write many of the wonderful stories that end up on TechRadar, T3.com and T3 magazine. Prior to this he was deputy editor of TechRadar, had a 10-month stint editing a weekly iPad magazine, written film reviews for a whole host of publications and has been an integral part of many magazines that are no longer with us.