Gateway AMD Ryzen laptop - $279.00 from Walmart
Gateway was so close to nailing it with this affordable laptop, powered by AMD Ryzen. The machine boasts decent specs, a fingerprint scanner and a smart aesthetic, but the system memory is lower than we'd like.
This 2020 model comes with the AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, a dual-core CPU with a base clock of 2.6GHz. It's comparable to an Intel Core i3-8121U processor, which is to say it's not too shabby, especially with AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics.
In terms of aesthetic, the machine is a considerable step up from the graphite-colored models of yesteryear, with three colors to choose from at the time of writing: grey, blue and purple.
- Check out our list of the best business computers on the market
- Here's our list of the best mobile workstations around
- We've built a list of the best workstations out there
We like the display, a full HD one, a rarity at this price point. The rest of the specification is decent, but nothing to write home about. There’s 4GB of DDR4 memory (upgradable so you can change it after) and a 128GB M2 SATA SSD.
Connectivity options, meanwhile, include a card reader, Wi-Fi 5, Bluetooth, three USB ports, an audio jack and an HDMI port.
Gateway claims that the battery will power the laptop for up to eight hours, which is remarkable for an entry level laptop and, at only 3.5Lbs, this is also a pretty portable notebook.
We also appreciate the large single hinge and thin bezel on the frame as well as the 1-megapixel camera (better than on the MacBook Air), the fingerprint scanner and an audio system that is tuned by none other than THX audio.
- Here's our choice of the best laptops for programming out there
Bear in mind
- This product does not ship to all regions, so non-US customers will likely need to use a specialist parcel forwarding service to take advantage of the deal.
- If you've managed to find a cheaper product with equivalent specifications, in stock and brand new, let us know and we'll tip our hat to you.