The holiday shopping season is a good time to pick up a mattress for less than normal, so if you have been waiting to find a good price on the best mattress for your sleep needs, now is the time to buy.
That’s because this year's Black Friday mattress deals have finally arrived (and we're tracking the Cyber Monday mattress sales too) and there are decent savings to choose from, with up to 50% off from leading sleep brands including Nectar, PlushBeds, Serta, Emma, DreamCloud, Saatva and more.
But choosing between these Black Friday deals can seem overwhelming at first, so where do you start? Right here, with our stress-free beginner’s guide to Black Friday mattress shopping. We’ve created it to help you find your dream bed with ease - and with the biggest possible discount.
So here’s what to keep in mind when shopping for a mattress during the Black Friday, beginning with two of our favourite offers so far...
Emma Original Mattress: Up to 45% off at Emma (opens in new tab)
You can save 40% in the US (opens in new tab) on this top-rated memory foam mattress, while in the UK you can save 45% (opens in new tab). Emma is one of our top picks because it’s supportive and comfy for all sleeping positions, and this is a knock-out saving that we don’t expect to get any better this holiday season.
Nectar Memory Foam Mattress: Up to 45% off at Nectar (opens in new tab)
In the UK you can save 45% on any Nectar (opens in new tab), while in the US you’ll save $100 and get up to $399 of free gifts (opens in new tab) when buying the Nectar Memory Foam Mattress. It's a strong choice for all-over pressure relief, but because the Nectar sleeps a little cooler than the Emma, it’s the better option for hot sleepers.
Black Friday mattress shopping: do's and dont's
- Do buy from a trusted mattress brand or retailer
- Don't buy a mattress if it comes without a trial period
- Do check the warranty before buying to see what is covered
- Don't just go for the cheapest option - it could be a false economy
- Do factor in your sleep position and health needs when choosing
1. Know which type of mattress suits your needs
Memory foam mattresses are designed to provide pressure relief and a cradling effect on your body, where you sink slightly into the bed. This makes them a great choice for side sleepers who need extra cushioning around their hips, shoulders and knees.
Innerspring mattresses combine coils with soft padding and are great for stomach sleepers. Latex is naturally cooling and bouncy, so these mattresses are fast to respond to changes in movement, making them ideal for combi sleepers and couples.
Hybrid mattresses combine springs with other materials such as memory foam, gel and latex. These suited all sleepers, especially back, stomach and combi sleepers. Memory foam tends to be the cheapest option, with latex at the priciest end.
Below is a quick guide to mattresses and sleeping positions, and to learn more check out our feature on how to choose a mattress.
|Sleep position||Main pressure points affected||Recommended firmness||Recommended mattress type|
|Side||Shoulders, hips, knees||Medium||Latex, memory foam, hybrid|
|Front||Head, shoulders, knees||Medium-firm, firm||Innerspring, hybrid|
|Back||Head, shoulder blades, sacrum, heels||Medium-firm, firm||Hybrid, latex|
|Combination||Any of the above||Medium||Latex, memory foam|
2. Get clued up on trusted mattress brands
Every manufacturer claims to make the best beds, but from our experience, a few brands stand apart from the rest. And for such an important health purchase you want to make sure that you’re buying from a trusted sleep brand.
What does that actually mean? We believe that a good mattress brand not only makes high quality beds that are built to last, but also asks a fair price for the build quality and sleep features.
They should also offer a useful mattress trial period (100 nights is the average), a comprehensive warranty (10 years is the standard) and a clear returns policy that doesn’t make you jump through hoops.
You’ll also want strong customer service and plenty of ways to contact them before, during and after purchase. For expert shopping advice on some of the biggest mattress sales around, check out our following guides:
- Saatva Black Friday mattress sale: the best offers to shop
- The best Nectar Black Friday mattress sales
- Our guide to Simba Black Friday mattress discounts
- Emma Black Friday mattress sales: a complete guide
3. Don’t just go for the cheapest mattress
It can seem appealing to go for the cheapest option when you’re on a very tight budget. However, this is often a false economy for your bank balance and health. A cheap mattress won’t last long and it won’t support your body and sleep to the level you need.
Chances are you’ll be looking for another mattress in a couple of Black Fridays’ time, so it pays to spend a little extra now and get a bed that will help you sleep better for several years to come.
Thankfully, the affordable mattress market is getting better each year, and that’s because innovative materials and various cooling and comfort technologies are trickling down from the higher-end beds. You’ll find a number of bed-in-a-box brands doing this, including Emma, Nectar, Zinus, Simba and DreamCloud.
4. Buy a mattress that comes with a risk-free trial
With so many purchases being made online, how do you know whether a particular mattress will suit your body and sleep needs? Fortunately, most mattress manufacturers offer a risk-free trial period so that you can test your new bed at home and then return it if it isn’t right for you.
You’ll need to make sure that the mattress is kept in good condition (use a mattress protector at all times). Provided you do this, you can return the mattress for a refund if you change your mind during the trial period.
Most manufacturers offer a trial of around 100 nights, although there are shorter and longer trials. Here’s a quick rundown:
- 365 nights: Nectar, DreamCloud, Avocado
- 180 nights: Saatva
- 120 nights: Layla
- 101 nights: GhostBed
- 100 nights: Purple, Casper, Helix, Tuft & Needle, Cocoon by Sealy, Allswell, Zinus, AmeriSleep, Tempur-Pedic UK, Otty
- 90 nights: Tempur-Pedic US
5. Look for money off and free gifts
The combination of money off and free gifts is the holy grail of mattress offers. Not only are you saving money, but you’re getting free bedding that would normally cost a fair amount to purchase separately.
What free gifts should you expect? We’ve found that most brands offer a combination of products such as pillows, sheets sets and mattress protectors. Nectar, for example, even throws in a free Google Nest Hub 2nd Gen with sleep-sensing.
6. Let your sleep position lead the way
The right mattress for the way you sleep makes all the difference to how quickly you drift off, how often you wake up in the night, and how refreshed you feel in the morning. Back sleepers need a medium firm mattress to help keep the spine in alignment – hybrid mattresses are ideal here.
Side sleepers usually need softer mattresses to provide pressure relief and nothing does the job better than memory foam. Stomach sleepers should look for a firm mattress to keep the hips and shoulders aligned. Combination sleepers should choose latex or hybrid models that provide medium firm support.
Don’t panic – Black Friday isn’t the only sale
Not ready to buy yet or can’t find anything you like on Black Friday? Don’t worry – there are plenty of other opportunities to find cheap mattresses. Cyber Monday is just a few days after Black Friday, followed by Christmas and even the New Year sales.
Beyond this, Memorial Day and Labor Day are great opportunities to buy a quality mattress at a cheaper price. Some of the top mattress brands also offer regular sales and bundle offers throughout the year, there are plenty of opportunities to save.
That said, we’re now seeing some of the biggest discounts we’ve seen all year, so if you do need to buy now, we’d recommend checking out the following:
- Nectar: Get $499 of savings (money off and free gifts) (opens in new tab)
- Saatva: save $250 on luxury mattresses (opens in new tab)
- Allswell: 20% off sitewide (opens in new tab)
- Avocado: save $150 on organic mattresses (opens in new tab)
- Big Fig: save $300 on mattresses for heavier bodies (opens in new tab)
- Brooklyn Bedding: 25% off sitewide (opens in new tab)
- Casper: up to 50% off older mattresses (opens in new tab)
- Cocoon by Sealy: 35% off cooling mattresses + free gifts (opens in new tab)
- DreamCloud: $200 off + $399 free gifts in the early Black Friday event (opens in new tab)
- Eight Sleep: get $100 off the Pod Pro smart mattress in the new sale (opens in new tab)
- Emma: 40% off foam and hybrid mattresses (opens in new tab)
- Helix: $200 off mattresses + 2 free pillows (opens in new tab)
- Layla: up to $900 off hybrid mattress bundles (opens in new tab)
- Purple: up to $150 off mattresses and up to $300 off bundles (opens in new tab)
- Tempur-Pedic: Save 30% on the Tempur-Cloud (opens in new tab)
- Tuft & Needle: 15% off affordable mattresses (opens in new tab)