Most people have very strong opinions about the Android vs iPhone debate, and I don't want to wade into that quagmire here. But I've been leaning towards switching to Android for some time, and this super-cheap Prime Day deal on the Galaxy S21 –$200 off – and Galaxy S21 Plus – $300 off – made the decision easy for me.
As a long-time iPhone user, I knew very little about Android OS until phone coverage became my professional focus last year, at which point I borrowed some Android phones from colleagues and began using them in my daily life. I discovered Android launchers, dynamic notifications and widgets, and other design tools that Apple has only just begun to emulate with its OS.
I realized that Android is just a better fit for my personality. I enjoy fiddling with and improving my devices so they feel more personal to me, since I spend so much time on them. New tricks like Material You for Android 12 have me much more excited than Apple's iOS 15 plans.
Despite that, I hesitated for the simple reason that I didn't want to drop $1000 on a new phone, especially if I couldn't know how long the company would support it. Apple has spoiled me with how long it updates old phones. But $600 for a Samsung phone for which the company promises to provide three OS updates and four years of security updates? That I can get behind.
Samsung Galaxy S21 128GB: at Amazon | SIM-free |
This year's Amazon Prime Day sales is offering one of the largest discounts yet on the cheapest of the three Galaxy S21 devices. With this discount, you'll only pay $599.99. Considering the specs and features that come with this device, that's a brilliant offer. If you know you'll need more storage, the 256GB model is also down in price, currently only costing $649.99.View Deal
Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus 128GB: at Amazon | SIM-free |
Samsung's Galaxy S21 Plus falls in the middle of the brand's flagship range, offering a mix of the S21's affordability and the Ultra's size. In the Amazon Prime Day sales, you'll be able to get the device for just $749.99. That's less than the smaller Galaxy S21 cost on its launch and a pretty excellent saving. Like the above device, you can upgrade to the 256GB model at a reduced cost, currently only costing $799.99.View Deal
So with that decision, I then had to weigh the Galaxy S21 versus the Galaxy S21 Plus and decide which to buy. Comparing the two Prime Day phone deals, the S21 Plus is discounted $100 more, but the S21 still costs $100 less. The S21+ gives you more battery, a larger screen, and a glass back for that extra $100, which is a pretty good bargain.
Despite that, I decided to go with the standard S21. Both phones have the same chipset and RAM, and I've realized that I'd rather have a decent-sized, speedy phone that's comfortable to hold one-handed.
If you've ever considered switching to Android, now's a great time to jump on that bandwagon. We're pretty sure that the iPhone 13 isn't going to have any major upgrades. So you can buy the S21 or S21+ for the price of a mid-range phone, test it for a year without any FOMO, then decide whether to stick with Android or go running back to Apple. That's my plan, anyways!
More Samsung Galaxy S21 deals
More Amazon Prime Day deals
- Amazon devices: up to 50% off for Prime Day
- Amazon Fire tablets: record low prices now starting at $44.99
- Amazon Fire TV stick: half price 4K streaming
- Amazon Echo (4th Gen): $99.99 $59.99 at Amazon
- Amazon Echo Dot (4th generation): $49.99 $24.99 at Amazon
- Adidas: up to 45% off footwear and apparel
- Audible Premium Plus: save 53% on your first 4 months
- AirPods: now starting at just $99
- Apple Watch Series 6 (40mm, GPS): $399 $329 at Amazon
- Calvin Klein: up to 45% off CK underwear and bras
- Camping: Zippo, Coleman and Sabre under $10
- Card and board games: Up to 30% off games for all ages
- Chromebooks: up to 25% off Lenovo, HP and Samsung
- Deals under $25: save on games, smart home, fashion and more
- Fashion: big name brands from $14
- Fitbit: up to 30% off Fitbit Sense, Inspire and more
- Fitness: workout gear from $6
- Garmin: save up to 30% on smartwatches
- Headphones: Sony, Beats, Bose and more starting at $10
- iPad (8th generation): was $329 now $299
- Keurig: up to 35% off K-Slim pod coffee maker
- Kitchen: save up to 42% on Cusimax, Cosori, Instant Pot and more
- Laptops: Chromebooks, MacBooks and gaming laptops discounted
- Lego Super Mario: sets from $11
- Levi's: up to 40% off Levi's jeans, shorts and jackets
- New Balance: up to 30% off shoes and sneakers
- Nike: save on NBA jerseys, sneakers, and more
- Monitors: displays from LG, Asus, and Alienware up to 38% off
- Nintendo Switch: save $10 on Pro Controller and select games
- Oral care: up to 50% off Oral B, Crest, Glide and more
- PS5: games now starting at $29.88
- Ray-Ban: up to 25% off adults and kids sunglasses
- Razer: PC gaming accessories up to 50% off
- Roomba: save up to $300 on robot vacuum cleaners
- Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones: $348 $248 at Amazon
- Smartwatches: Samsung Galaxy Watch from $159
- Subscription boxes: 65% off for Prime members
- Tommy Hilfiger: up to 50% off designer clothes and accessories
- TVs: Fire-enabled smart TVs starting at just $99.99
- Under Armour: up to 30% off sportswear, shoes and gym accessories
- Xbox Game Pass Ultimate: get three months for $29.99