98-inch Xiaomi Redmi Smart TV MAX - 19,999 Yuan from Mi
This absurdly large display from Xiaomi is actually rather affordable, given its size. The screen is about as large as a double bed, with viewable dimensions of 2190 x 1255mm. It's only available in China for now, but watch this space.
Meet the Redmi Smart TV MAX, a 98-inch TV that comes with its own white glove VIP installation service. Available at 19,999 Yuan (that’s about US$2,800, £2,200, AU$4,000), this absurdly massive display is actually not all that expensive.
The next cheapest 98-inch display on the market is the ViewSonic IFP9850, a touchscreen monitor that costs about three times more.
The bad news is that you currently can’t buy the Redmi Smart TV MAX unless you live in China. However, given the exceptional popularity of this 98-inch set, we wouldn’t be surprised if Xiaomi began selling it in other countries too.
- We've built a list of the best business monitors on the market
- Check out our list of the best portable monitors out there
- Here's our list of the best interactive kiosk providers around
The TV is roughly equivalent in size to four 50-inch displays placed side by side - about the same proportions as a double bed. The viewable dimensions of the screen are a whopping 2190 x 1255mm and the set probably weighs more than 100kg, which makes it problematic to install.
Picture-wise, it's a 4K display with (unsurprisingly) the worst pixel density on the market (45ppi). It covers 85% of the NTSC colour space, backed by 192 local dimming zones with direct LED backlighting, 60Hz Motion Estimation and Compensation and other quality tweaking technologies.
It features four speakers in total (plus Dolby and DTS decoding), only three HDMI ports, an SPDIF output and a built-in Android box that runs on an 8-core processor, 4GB of RAM and 64GB onboard storage.
- Here's our list of the best large format displays out there
Bear in mind
- If this product comes from mainland China, it will take at least a month to reach either the US or the UK (and potentially more). You may be levied a tax either directly or through the courier.
- If Mi does not ship to your region, you may need to use a specialist parcel forwarding service to take advantage of the deal.
- If you've managed to get hold of a cheaper product with equivalent specifications, in stock and brand new, let us know and we'll tip our hat to you.
Are you a pro? Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up to the TechRadar Pro newsletter to get all the top news, opinion, features and guidance your business needs to succeed!
Désiré has been musing and writing about technology during a career spanning four decades. He dabbled in website builders and web hosting when DHTML and frames were in vogue and started narrating about the impact of technology on society just before the start of the Y2K hysteria at the turn of the last millennium.
Fiber optic cables transport petabytes of data every second around the world — scientists say they could also save lives by detecting tsunamis early
"With KeyTrap, an attacker could completely disable large parts of the worldwide Internet" — this deceptively simple cyberattack could spell doom for apps everywhere