The news portable hard drives aim to offer the highest-capacity flash memory devices to store rich content on the go, with the company saying that its prototype features USB speeds of 20Gbps using the SuperSpeed USB protocol.
Other new SSD drives (opens in new tab) announced also include a 1TB drive for both smartphone and laptop (opens in new tab) users, aiming to provide an easy to carry backup for photos and other content that can fit in your pocket, or even a keychain.
- Best USB flash drives (opens in new tab): Memory sticks for all your data storage needs
- SSD vs HDD (opens in new tab): which is best for your needs?
- Best external hard drives (opens in new tab)
Along with its 8TB device, SanDisk also announced a sleek silver finish 1TB Ultra Luxe dual connector drive (pictured below) that aims to work with the latest smartphones, tablets (opens in new tab), and laptops.
SanDisk have a record of making quality hard drives for those on the go, such as the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 1TB (opens in new tab) which we reviewed favorably just over a year ago.
While there are a number of portable USB drives on the market, most have limited capacity and transfer rates by comparison to SanDisk’s latest models. Although no pricing information has been released as yet, both models should be available within the next few months.
- Find the best wireless hard drives (opens in new tab).
- Check out all of TechRadar's CES 2020 coverage (opens in new tab). We're live in Las Vegas to bring you all the breaking tech news and launches, plus hands-on reviews of everything from 8K TVs and foldable displays to new phones, laptops and smart home gadgets.