The huge Warzone update has settled, and Season 4 is in full swing. Activision's packing a lot into the latest season, bringing the usual changes. New operators and new weapons are all present and this time, we've also got a new map, known as Fortune's Keep.
As with the launch of any new season of Warzone, headlining your agenda should be avoiding an immediate trip to the gulag; second on the list is figuring out what changes have come to the Pacific island of Caldera. This time around, there's a few smaller changes to the popular map.
Warzone Season 4 is called ‘Mercenaries of Fortune’ and it's promising big things. Following a Godzilla vs King King crossover in Season 3, Activision's lined up another big name for Season 4 with The Terminator. We don't know yet when the Terminators will arrive, or which Terminator models we’ll be getting in this Warzone event, but it's shaping up to be a major event.
Activision's recently outlined plans to unify each future entry (opens in new tab) under one engine too. That doesn't include Warzone, but it affects Warzone 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Unfortunately, this means you can't transfer existing items over to the next entry.
But for now, expect a new level of loot and scoot in your future if you want to survive and overcome the challenges Warzone Season 4 throws at you.
Warzone update: cut to the chase
- What is it? Season 4 of the Call of Duty battle royale
- When can I play it? Available now.
- What can I play it on? PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC
Warzone update: release date and platforms
Season 4 is available now, having launched on June 22 at 9am PST/12pm EST/5pm BST, 2am ACT.
Warzone Season 4 also launched across all of Call of Duty: Vanguard's core pillars. New content is here for the multiplayer and zombie modes, too, so if you play the other modes alongside Warzone, there's a ton of new stuff to get into.
Warzone update: trailers
For a tease of what's in the new Warzone update, you should take a look at the Season 4 trailers. Activision has released a few that detail Warzone's upcoming changes.
Warzone Season 4 cinematic trailer
The key Warzone trailer to watch is the cinematic trailer, as it gives a real flavour of everything that's coming in the Mercenaries of Fortune update:
Warzone Season 4 launch trailer
Looking to get a quick overview of the action in the Mercenaries of Fortune update? We've yet to get a Battle Pass trailer for Warzone Season 4, but you can find the launch trailer below:
Warzone update: weapons
It wouldn't be a Warzone update without new weapons, and Season 4 comes loaded with new gear. You can bet that the Warzone meta will shift to match. Activision has revealed four new weapons will be added to the popular battle royale, and two of them came at Season 4's launch:
- Marco 5 (SMG)
- UGM-8 (LMG)
With the other two weapons showing up mid-season:
- Vargo-S (AR)
- Push Dagger (melee)
Warzone: New operators
The new Warzone update brings three new Warzone operators, who work together as Task Force Immortal. The first is Carver Butcher, who was previously seen in Call of Duty: WWII and Vanguard.
You can unlock him, instantly by buying the battle pass. He comes with two elite skins if you buy the battle pass and there's another two you can unlock by completing tiers in the Warzone season 3 battle pass, plus two quips and a finishing move.
Otherwise, we can expect the two additional operators, Calum Hendry and Ikenna Olowe, to show up later on in Season 4.
Warzone update: map changes
As a new map, Fortune's Keep is the big focus this season. Offering a second map you can play the Resurgence game mode on, it means you're no longer limited to Rebirth Island, and these two maps will rotate.
Fortune's Keep is described as a "smuggler’s paradise" in the Mediterranean. It's here where you'll find a castle keep, a village, a winery, and a few more locations. You'll find NPC Mercenaries guarding marked bags of money here, all part of a Mercenary Cash Extraction public event.
There's four specific new points of interest in Fortune's Keep, which we've outlined below:
- Town — Cobblestone alleyways and flat rooftops to traverse across, an old fortress in the town center, a coastal path with a gazebo, and a graveyard.
- Smuggler’s Cove — A lighthouse and a series of fishing huts above sea caves that contain stockpiles of equipment and loot.
- Keep — The largest landmark on the island, this medieval fortress includes winding hallways, ramparts, watchtowers, and a tunnel system.
- Winery — An old monastery with entrances on all sides and an underground passage, nearby a military camp.
Caldera's getting a few changes too, which Raven Software are calling "the most comprehensive set of changes to Caldera since Season One." As per the official patch notes (opens in new tab), Raven outlined these following updates, which we've listed those below too:
- Storage Town | New Point of Interest — The return of the fan favorite POI, Storage Town, now visible on the Tac Map. This POI will be used for a dedicated “Clash” Limited-Time Mode in Week 3 of Season Four.
- Micro POIs | New Map Elements — The addition of new micro POIs to fill gaps between the major POIs to offer more looting and engagement opportunities.
- Mercenary Bunkers / Golden Keycards | New Gameplay — New keycards found in ground loot provide access to any of the 7 mercenary bunkers hidden across the map - indicated on the Tac Map with yellow circles.
- “Arid” Vegetation | Updated Gameplay — Vegetation across Caldera has been reduced by 50%. A new 'arid' look to the map was implemented to offer some visual variety to this season. It has the added benefits of improved performance on all platforms, better Player reads, and location awareness by opening up views to landmarks.
- Fighter Plane | Updated Gameplay — We have re-enabled these vehicles for Battle Royale and will continue to monitor sentiment and engagement over the season.
- Weapon Trade Stations | New Gameplay | In-Season — Weapon Trade Stations have been added to various locations across Caldera that allow players to trade in their weapons for high value loot.
Warzone update: event details
Mercenaries of Fortune is the big new Warzone event this season. Running from June 22 until July 7, that's packing eight new challenges between Caldera and Fortune’s Keep. Between new Weapon Camos, Charms, a Legendary animated Calling Card and more, completing these all earns you a gold skin for the Armored SUV.
There's also a Terminator event arriving later on in Season 4, though right now, we don't have any details for what that'll bring. Activision hasn't confirmed when it's happening, either, so we're hoping to learn more once the Mercenaries of Fortune event is finished. Soon as we know, we'll be sure to keep this updated.
Warzone: patch notes
The big season 4 update is here, and the patch notes tell quite the story. There's been some significant weapons rebalancing, a new map, and plenty of bug fixes. As you might expect, that's also packing a hefty download size, coming in between 21-27GB, depending on your platform.
If you're curious to see the full breakdown, check the full Warzone patch notes (opens in new tab) out for yourself.
Warzone: latest news and rumors
Warzone Season 4 is now live
Following a hectic Season 3 with Godzilla and King King, Raven Software has just kicked off Season 4. Calling this "Mercenaries of Fortune," that's adding some significant changes, including a brand new map called Fortunes' Keep. Activision's also confirmed a new crossover's on the way for The Terminator, though we're still awaiting further details on this.
Raven Software address glitch issues
Warzone's Season 3 update came with a few hiccups, including game-breaking bugs for some players.
Raven Software has acknowledged that it's working on the main issues that are presenting obstacles. A number of users were running into a 'Corrupted Loadout Data' error. The devs tweeted (opens in new tab) that they were working on it and would provide an update asap. And thankfully, it's since been sorted out (opens in new tab).
The major glitch that was ruining everyone's good time was cropping up on Xbox consoles. The Warzone bug required Xbox Live Gold membership for people wanting to dive into the free-to-play game. If you've not been driven to sign up for Xbox Game Pass or Xbox Live Gold in your desperation, sit tight! Raven is working on a fix.
"We are investigating an issue where Xbox Live Silver users are unable to play Warzone."
If you can't wait until then, you can check out the cheapest Xbox Game Pass deals for June. The subscription comes with all kinds of perks, including Xbox Live Gold for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers, and you may end up loving it.