Elon Musk took the stage tonight to unveil the affordable Model 3 during a private event at its Hawthorne, California facility. The car looks fantastic, and I reserved one online to replace my wife's Nissan Leaf.
Tesla expects a US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rating of 215 miles of range on the base model and hints at available longer-range models. Supercharging is standard on all models to take advantage of the fast network of over 3,600 charging stations.
Musk claims 0-60mph performance in under six seconds, which puts its straight-line performance in the same territory as the BMW 328i. But, like its bigger brothers, expect even faster models to be available when deliveries begin next year.
- Expected safety rating: 5-stars across the board, including small overlap
- 0-60 mph: Under 6 seconds
- Supercharging standard
- Technology: Autopilot standard on all models
- Seating: Seats 5 adults comfortably
- Base price: $35,000 (£30,000)
Article continues below