- Compact, easy to use body and intuitive interface.
- Excellent AF/metering/White balance systems
- Very capable 11-point AF system
- Nikon's best Live View system yet, includes face detection AF
- 720p 'HD' video can be handy
We didn't like:
- Simplified ergonomics won't suit everyone
- Contrast-detection AF in Live View is slow, and struggles with backlit subjects
- Inbuilt microphone is over-sensitive to sounds of camera handling.
- No AF in video mode.
- Currently rather pricey
All in all, the Nikon D5000 is a well thought-out DSLR with something for everyone. Its 720p video recording mode is not as versatile as that of the Canon EOS 500D, but the addition of extra features, like the innovative Scene Recognition System and articulated LCD screen are enough to make the Nikon D5000 a very desirable camera.