All the latest tech and services from the last weeks
New tablet PC integrates Bluetooth keyboard
UK based, mobile consumer electronics brand, Gemini Devices has launched the new JoyTAB Gem10312BK, a 9.7" Tablet PC sporting a Bluetooth Keyboard Case and an IPS display aimed at the small business market.
The Bluetooth keyboard case holds the Gem10312BK in a comfortable typing position, just like a laptop, and protects the tablet from scratches when not in use.
The Ice Cream Sandwich based device is lightweight 632g (952g with keyboard) and measures less than 1cm (including the keyboard) and is armed with an ARM Cortex A8 processor, a 9.7" IPS Capacitive Multi-Touch screen display, 1GB DDR3 memory, and 16GB of built-in storage with room for 16Gb more via a Micro SD Card.
The Gem10312BK includes two cameras, a front-facing 0.3 megapixel camera, and a 2.0 megapixel rear facing camera, and has options to connect via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, or HDMI.
The RRP is £199.99 and the tablet comes with a one year warranty.
Server backup for Windows Server 2012
As of this week NovaStor's NovaBACKUP range has been upgraded to fully support Microsoft's latest business networking product, Windows Server 2012.
As well as the basic NovaBACKUP Server product NovaStor has also updated it's NovaBACKUP Business Essentials, and NovaBACKUP Business Essentials Network.
The new version of NovaBACKUP Business Essentials offers file and disaster recovery protection support for Windows Servewr 2012 as well as, the ability to backup and restore Microsoft Exchange and SQL data, as well as unlimited virtual machines based on Hyper-V and VMware ESXi / vSphere.
NovaBACKUP Business Essentials Network also gets an upgrade to Windows Server 2012 and adds the ability to centralise the management of data protection for an entire business network from a single intuitive web interface.
Buffalo ships first portable Dual-Interface Thunderbolt HDD
The new MiniStation Thunderbolt portable hard drive from Buffalo provides transfer speeds of up to10Gbps, double those provided by USB 3.0 alone. The new device is compatible with all Apple MacBook and Mac computers, and is soon to be joined by a host of Windows devices with Thunderbolt compatibility.
Buffalo claims the device is the world's first to have both a 5 GBps super speed USB 3.0 port and a 10 GBps Thunderbolt interface.
Buffalo's MiniStation Thunderbolt will be available in 500 GB and 1 TB, at an RRP of £169.99 and £199.99, from retailers including Dabs, Amazon and eBuyer.
Actinic Online integrates with Sage
Cloud-based ecommerce platform Actinic Online, has launched a free add-on application to integrate Sage 50 Accounts 2012 into Actinic Online.
Using the free application enables businesses to:
- Import products, images, descriptions, stock level, re-order level, VAT, weight, EAN code, costs, categories and sub-categories from Sage 50 Accounts and transfer this information into Actinic Online.
- Upload customer records from Sage 50 Accounts to Actinic Online and retain allocated discounts.
- Transfer orders (sales orders and invoices) from Actinic Online directly into Sage 50 Accounts for processing, matching existing customer accounts or creating new ones.
Simon Armstrong, Actinic's marketing manager explains the benefits of the integration: "Merchants using Actinic Online can now streamline their online business operations by integrating with their Sage accounting system. They also cut their costs as orders are fulfilled more quickly, plus they no longer have to enter data twice, so save time and reduce input errors."
ZAPP presentation assistant app for the iPhone
ZAPP is a new iPhone app from Zoom Creates designed to help you create the most effective presentations. The app utilises 10 years of research, thinking and content and has been tested with 71 international businesses and organisations including Starbucks, 3, Sapient and Argos.
Once ZAPP has been downloaded, users are asked a short series of questions about their presentation including 'What is the purpose of your presentation?' and 'Who are you presenting to?' They're then guided through a series of options that enable them to custom design a brilliant presentation in 5 minutes.
- Create, load and save multiple presentations
- Summary view to see your presentation at a glance
- Template examples for you to use or customise for each type of presentation
- On-screen cues for expert tips and advice
To purchase ZAPP for £4.99, go to the App Store and search for ZAPP business.
LogMeIn updates Central for remote anti-virus monitoring and management
LogMeIn, has updated its IT automation and management product, LogMeIn Central, that makes it easy to monitor and manage hundreds of versions of anti-virus from a single remote dashboard.
The new capabilities include;
- support for anti-virus software including Norton, AVG, McAfee, Kaspersky, and Microsoft Security Essentials
- Verify anti-virus software is installed and enabled on remote PCs and servers
- Check virus definitions and update if necessary
- Confirm real-time protection is on and turn on if needed
- See last full scan time and initiate full scan if needed
- View a threat log with viruses found on remote computers
- Secure PCs and servers running Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008
Additional information, including a video demonstration of the new capabilities, is available at LogMeIn's product blog. New versions of LogMeIn Central featuring the new Anti-Virus Management capability are immediately and the new capabilities are available as a free update to existing LogMeIn Central users.
Yammer announces new features and HootSuite integration
Users of business social media tool Yammer now have the option of communicating from the HootSuite dashboard. Additionally Yammer has also announced a number of new features designed to improve the user experience and discoverability of relevant people, content and conversations.
The new features include:
- Inbox: provides a single place to track the Yammer activity that matters most to users by automatically aggregating at-mentions, group announcements, Private Messages and conversations, and enabling them to quickly respond to conversations in the order of importance.
- Homepage: the new Homepage is tailored to help users discover and connect with the content that is most relevant to them as well as important company activity and resources, while also reducing noise.
Online Now: enables users to see who is available and instantly start a discussion with one or more co-workers.
- New Navigation: Built as a result of incorporating customer feedback, the redesigned navigation that further simplifies the discovery of and access to people, content and third-party applications.
Additionally Yammer also announced integration with Bevalley, FuzeBox, Get Satisfaction, If This Then That (IFTTT), Mindflash, Mindjet and Zapier.
Google makes investment in eSignature business
eSignature business DocuSign, has just received nearly £36 million ($55.8 million) in funding from Google Ventures – the investment arm of Google.
DocuSign's, cloud-based platform helps businesses and consumers of all sizes and industries to complete transactions through an approved electronic signature system and hence cuts out all the hassles, costs, and lack of security inherent in printing, faxing, scanning, and couriering documents to capture information, payments and signatures.
The business is currently used by more than 20 million users who have DocuSigned more than 150 million documents in 188 countries, with 60,000 new users joining the DocuSign Global Network every day.
"Electronic signatures are being rapidly adopted by enterprises, small businesses and consumers worldwide due to their convenience, security and ease of use," said Karim Faris, partner, Google Ventures. "DocuSign's market momentum, deep technology and strong team attracted us to them and we are excited to be working with the company as they scale their business worldwide extending their reach to hundreds millions of consumers."
Faris neglects to mention if Google would be using Docusign for any of its current solutions. However Docusign currently has an extension for Chrome (DocuSign for Google Chrome) and an app for Android (DocuSign Ink for Android) and it can currently be used to send documents to be signed via Google Drive, so it can't be too long before it appears natively in Chrome, Android, Google Drive and then probably in Gmail and Google Apps for Business.
The company will use the funds to accelerate growth of the business worldwide, on more R&D, and to build deeper vertical industry solutions.