Sony said it has asked some 5,000 existing owners of TZ-series notebooks for feedback, tweaking the new range based on the results of the survey.
The majority of respondents (60 per cent) said they used their Vaio machines on the move, while 74 per cent said the balance between size and weight is 'very important'. Sony has consequently started making the screen housing and the base of the chassis using lighter carbon fibre re-enforcement technology.
The new carbon fibre technology brings the weight down to just 1.19kg while ensuring increased durability.
Sony said the 'Full Flat' minimalist design is the other big appeal for the new Vaio TZ-series, after 70 per cent of customers said design was very important.
As many customers said they spend lots of time watching DVDs, the Vaio developers added two special features to the new TZ-series.
The 'Instant On' lets you play DVDs and CDs anytime without starting up Windows. A set of dedicated AV buttons gives you easy play control.
UK pricing and availability has yet to be confirmed.
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo U7600 or U7500
- RAM: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
- HDD: 80GB or 100GB
- Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
- Optical: DVD -RW/ -R DL/RAM
- Screen: 11.1-inch X-black LCD featuring 72 per cent colour accuracy and LED illumination
- Security: Fingerprint recognition; TPM
- Special controls: Instant On; AV buttons
- Wireless: Intel wireless LAN 802.11 a/b/g, Bluetooth
- Weight: 1.19kg
- Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements, Click to DVD, WinDVD 8.0 for Vaio
- Case construction: Carbon fibre lid and base
- Operating system: Windows Vista Business
Article continues below