Xbox One update: 12th Oct 2013
Stability and performance update
- Addresses SmartGlass issues for some users when coming in and out of connected standby
- Addresses multiplayer issues for some users when re-joining games
- Addresses issues with inconsistent notifications for some users
- Addresses dashboard quality experiences for some users
- Improvements to Xbox One's TV, system update, and content update services for scaling over time
- Updated wireless networking driver to improve connectivity issues for some users
Xbox One update: 14th Feb 2014
New or updated features
- Update to My game & apps to allow sorting of games and application lists, and separate queue lists for games, applications and installs
- Ability to delete game and application save data
- Improved installation and DLC management
- Addition of the controller battery power indicator
- Improved UI for accessing friends, achievements, messages, and party chat
- Game DVR app to be included in the Xbox OneGuide as an app channel
- Update to the boot progress indicators for system update
- Improve consistency of UX for update & install progress
- Separate game, application, and install queue lists
- Addition of USB keyboard support
Stability and performance update
- Improved NAT detection
- Network Troubleshooter improvements
- Blu-ray quality improvements
- Significant performance and stability improvements
Xbox One update: 4th March 2014
Improved multiplayer and party chat
- Cross title party chat
- Party chat on by default
- Easier multiplayer invites
- Easier multiplayer joining
- Ability to see what the people in your party are doing
Improved friends list and profile
- Improved friends list utility and speed of access
- Ability to see people you recently played games with
- See when friends are broadcasting, including live broadcast thumbnails in the activity feed
- Get to a friend's profile faster using typeahead suggestions
- Contextual app menu actions on friends list and activity feed items
- Enabled more multiplayer (join and invite) actions on user profiles
- 54 new contest-winning gamerpics
Twitch TV live streaming support
- Broadcast gameplay on TwitchTV through Xbox Live
- Voice support for starting and ending broadcast
Bringing out social in home
- See favorite friends currently online
- See friends broadcasting gameplay
Miscellaneous shell improvements
- View game clips while in Snap mode
- Protect user settings with passkey
- Control Bing and Google maps with gesture and controller
- Quick search when highlighting a term on a page
- When searching from Bing search on the console, direct link to Internet Explorer to see additional web results
New devices - driver and firmware updates
- Firmware update to the Xbox One controller to support the Xbox One stereo headset adapter
- Support for Xbox headsets and third party headsets
- Driver updates for the Xbox One Media Remote
- Push notification to your device for Xbox Live messages
- Quickly see what a friend is doing, including presence and recent
- Enhanced viewing of personal and friends' game progress and clips
- Ability to close snap from SmartGlass
- 50Hz fix – users can set the Live TV app to display at 50Hz for full or fill modes
- Volume up/down adjustments – user can tailor the number of volume increments when using "volume up" or "volume down" commands
- IR blasting of power & volume to TVs and AVRs in all regions
- AVR setup maps to include the model number for most sound bars or AVRs when setting up TV
Improved audio output support
- SPDIF (optical out) now supports 5.1 Dolby Digital, enabling devices such as sound bars with only optical in to be able to receive 5.1 Dolby Digital from console over optical
- HDMI output now supports stereo uncompressed, 5.1 uncompressed, 7.1 uncompressed, 5.1 Dolby Digital, or 5.1 DTS (5.1 Dolby Digital new for March)
Xbox One update: 14th April 2014
System update improvements
- The ability for the console to reboot and complete system update while in Instant On power mode.
- Users will easily be able to tell what games and apps are being updated or have been updated recently.
- Take future updates on demand when one is available without waiting for the console to do it from Instant On mode. Feature available under system settings.
Game and app saves and updates
- A game save progress bar will show you the status of your game saves.
- You will be able to easily tell what games and apps are being updated or have been updated recently.
- Notifications will be added to see when favorites and friends sign in to Xbox Live.
- Friends who are in multiplayer will be identified in the friends list.
Blu-ray 50 Hz video output support for content recorded at 50 Hz
- This will resolve video playback issues that some Xbox Live members in Europe are experiencing.
Kinect voice and motion improvements
- We continue to fine tune the quality and reliability of Xbox One commands.
Improved GameDVR video quality
- Through compression algorithm improvements.
Updates to Xbox One device management
- Improves the ability to control TVs, set top boxes, and receivers that our customers have reported issues with.
Xbox One update: 15th May 2014
Sound mixer for apps with Snap and volume controls when using Kinect with chat
- Under Settings, select Display & Sound. We've added two new features for controlling your audio options.
- With the new Sound mixer, you'll be able to control the volume levels of two apps when you're using Snap, letting you decide which app is louder.
- With the Chat mixer, you'll be able to control the volume levels when you're using Kinect for chat.
Opt in to help improve speech recognition
- To help us in our efforts to make voice and speech improvements for Kinect even better, you can opt in to speech data collection.
- Under Settings, select Privacy & Online Safety. In the Privacy column, selectCustom, scroll to the right until you findShare Voice Data and set this to Allow.
Take the next system update when you want
- When a system update is made available, you'll find the option available to update your console now.
- Go to Settings and select System. If an update is available, the System updatebutton will be available for you to select.
Xbox One update: 3rd June 2014
External storage now supported
- Supports up to two external hard drives at once. Hard drives must be
- USB 3.0
- 256 GB or larger
- Install, download, or transfer games and content to a portable HD for easy mobility between consoles.
- Ability to manage content between internal and external storage
Friends update - Addition of real name sharing
- You now have the ability to share your real name with:
- All of your friends
- A subset of the friends you choose to share with
- Friends of friends
- Or none at all if you want to keep your true identity a secret.
Xbox Live Gold Membership Area
- A new hub that will allow you to access new content only available to gold members such as:
- Games with Gold
- Deals with Gold
- Special announcements for Xbox Live Gold members,
Auto account sign-in
- Identify one account per console to automatically sign-in upon start up.
Updated store twist
- The store twist was redesigned to make it easier to find the content that you want.
TV and OneGuide updates
- Updated IR command & control database to increase the number of devices Xbox One can control.
- TV & OneGuide settings updated to provide better power management and control for devices.
- Expand Premium TV to new markets
- United Kingdom
Xbox One update: 7th July 2014
Snap Mode for Achievements
- An easier way to track and view your achievements progress in real time without ever leaving the game.
- 'Search for Achievement Help' on any Achievements you're struggling with. This will launch Internet Explorer for you and deliver relevant tips and strategy content based on the Achievement you are working on.
Double-tap to Snap
- Double-tap the Xbox button on your controller to bring up Snap Center, where you can launch Achievements or any other snap-able app, without leaving your current experience.
- If you already have an app snapped, double-tap quickly switches between your game and the snapped app.
Choice of Spoken Language.
- Xbox One owners can now choose their preferred Spoken Language in settings to enable better voice control compatibility. This is in addition to the Country selection used to access the Xbox store. For example, someone living in the United States who has an Australian accent may now choose English (Australia) for voice control while still having United States selected for Country location.
Future Digital Bundles and Compilation Discs
- Add the functionality for content publishers to create digital bundle and disc compilation offerings in the future.
Xbox One update: 17th August 2014
Update to the Activity Feed
- The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content.
- The ability to post messages to your feed, and to "like" and comment on feed items.
- You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message).
- You'll be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items.
- Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have posted to their activity feeds.
- With SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and "like" specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
- Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content.
- If your Home console is set to "Automatically download updates and purchases", your console will begin downloading your purchase.
Low battery notification
- A new notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
Disable notifications during video
- The ability to turn off each of the notifications types so that they will not pop-up during video playback.
Enabling 3D Blu-ray
- An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
Last seen time in Friends list
- The friends list will now show how long it's been since a friend has been online. For example, "Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5."
- For users who have an issue with the OneGuide channel lineup, there is a new feature used to report the issue. Go to Settings, TV & OneGuide, Troubleshooting to Report a OneGuide Problem.
Xbox One update: 15th October 2014
New or updated features
- Updated the Snap Centre to include quick access to:
- Game DVR
- battery indicator
- A double tap of the Xbox button on your controller will bring up a menu that allows you to open a new app in snap mode, close the current snapped app or switch focus between your game and your running snapped app.
- Two apps have been optimised for Snap mode:
- Friends Snap App – Access your friends list without leaving the game. Quickly check your friends list to see who's online right now and take actions like send message, invite or join.
- Messages Snap App – You'll be able to open, read and respond to messages in Snap mode, and messages will now be displayed in a threaded conversation view.
- Updated to enable sharing of achievements you've unlocked with captions
- See a list of friends who have unlocked specific achievements
- Updated achievements Snap landing page that shows Achievements on recently played games, when a user is not actively playing a game.
- The new Friends hub enables you to see at a glance what's going on with your friends.
- Stay up-to-date with your friend's current activities
- View most popular games your friends are playing
- View the Gamerscore leaderboard to see who has improved their Gamerscore over the last 30 days.
New SmartGlass features
- View a list of your top games in your profile.
- View a list of your friend's most popular games in the Friend's section of SmartGlass.
- Universal remote control functionality add for the 11 countries that are getting OneGuide TV listings, these users will be able use your mobile device to control your Xbox, TV, and/or Cable/Satellite box.
Media Player app update
- DLNA streaming is now supported. With this update, you will be able to easily access and play music, watch photo slideshows or movies stored on home media servers and devices that support the DLNA server protocols.
- MKV files are now supported.
Live TV MiniGuide
- For markets where OneGuide is available, a new MiniGuide on the bottom of the screen will display details about the TV content that is currently playing.
- You can quickly change channels
- See what's on other channels.
- Tune to the previous channel or other recent channels.
- All while watching your current TV show.
- You can also launch Miniguide using voice, by saying "Xbox Select – MiniGuide", or by using the thumbstick on your controller.
Internet TV Apps
- Apps with live TV channels can now include their TV listings within OneGuide.
- The first app to support this feature will be Zattoo with an upcoming content update for their app. The Zattoo app is available in Germany, Switzerland, Spain and Denmark.
Live TV initial setup experience
- Improved by attempting to automatically detect the set-top box connected to the HDMI-In port on a user's Xbox One
- Enable users to select "On start, go to TV" for their Xbox One consoles.
- For existing users a one-time message will appear on next use highlighting this new capability,
Updated Devices & Accessories page
- To access the new page, go inside Settings, select Devices & accessories
- Select a device to
- Find – You can also more easily find (or identify) a controller by making it vibrate
- Assign - "assign" accessories to specific users, such as assigning a headset to a specific gamer.
- Update – You can update the firmware for an individual device.
Password resets just got better
- We're making it easier and more secure to reset your password and add protection to your accounts. Starting around the 3rd week of October, if you haven't set up security info, we'll ask you to provide an alternate email or mobile phone number to use if you ever need their password reset.
- You'll only need to set this up once per account and you won't need it every time you sign in.
- To avoid us asking you, add your security info ahead of time at https://account.live.com/proofs/ and get more info at