It’s always hard shopping for that special someone in your life and cards, chocolates and flowers are a bit of a cliché these days. A much better way to spoil them is get them a great piece of tech to keep up with the digital times.
The best tech doesn’t always have to blow a hole in your bank balance either: with this guide, TechRadar’s Aussie team has scoured the realm for some of the coolest gadgets with the dreamiest price tags to treat your tech-loving better half to some amazing new gear.
For the photography lover
- 360fly 4K camera: Get creative this Valentine’s Day and capture the romance of your date in high resolution with this 360-degree camera. With two hours of battery life, 64GB of internal storage and sweat, rain, liquid, sand and dust resistance, the 360fly will allow you to edit your memories on the fly before you share the videos and images with your friends and family on social media via the 360fly smartphone app. This amazing piece of tech usually retails for $799, but .
- GoPro Hero5 Session and Hero5 Black: The best things come in small packages, and that’s definitely the case for GoPro’s latest action cameras. There’s plenty of crossover in terms of features in the Hero5 Session and Hero5 Black – both offer up to 4K video recording, have voice control and are water resistant (up to 10 meters) without a housing case. The Hero5 Session is smaller, more discreet and less pricey than the Hero5 Black, making it the obvious choice at , but the Hero5 Black is a bit more versatile and is available for .
- DJI Phantom 3 Standard: From the leaders in quadcopters comes this drone which is great value for money. It’s the perfect gift for those just starting out in aerial photography, yet offers everything a videographer or a photographer would need – simple design and operation, high-quality camera and a reliable live view stream. It’s , but if you’d like to add a romantic gift that screams “I love you”, then if ordered between 5 February and 14 February 2017.
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 8: This compact camera will bring instant frivolity to those special moments this Valentine’s Day. Available in five fun colours – white, blue, pink, yellow and black – the Instax Mini 8 is cute and easy to use, producing those special images instantly. So treat that special someone to a bit of compact cuteness with one of these from .
For the phone addicts
- Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge: Willing to splash out on your significant other? Then you can’t go wrong with either the Galaxy S7 or the more oomph-filled S7 Edge. With powerful processors, great cameras, immersive gaming-on-the-go experiences and microSD slots to increase internal storage, these high-end phones are perfect to make your loved one’s eyes shine. And add a bit of bling by getting the gold version of the , or go all out and choose the on Kogan.
- Oppo R9s: And for those who want something spanking new, the Oppo R9s has been introduced to the Aussie market and it’s a beaute. Not only does it come packing some exceptional specs, it also features the Beautify 4.0 software for the most flattering selfies imaginable. And it charges lightning quick too. It’s a phone with a premium feel sans the price tag. It’s a great gift that’s .
- Moto G4 Play: If you’re not willing to spoil your loved one too much but still show your love for them, the Moto G4 Play is a great budget option. It’s a phone that wants to have some fun and it’s hard to not be impressed by the powerful and bright Moto G4 Play, especially when it’s .
For the fitness freaks
- Fitbit accessories: Nothing says “I love you” like some jewellery, but add the encouragement to live a healthier lifestyle and you’re an instant hit. Fitbit trackers have a range of accessories that’s great looking jewellery and they come in simple designs like the bracelets for the Flex 2, , or the lariat to wear as a necklace , to the beautifully designed and fancy accessories from that suits every budget.
- Apple Watch: Your Valentine’s wrist deserves the best companion and the Apple Watch is the best smartwatch you can buy right now. Let your loved one take calls, answer text and maintain a fit lifestyle, among other things, with this smart little gadget that’s easily customisable, has great performance and looks pretty darn neat too. The Apple Watch is .
- Samsung Gear S3: If Apple doesn’t light a spark in your relationship, then Samsung’s Gear S3 might do the trick. Intuitive controls, Super AMOLED display and GPS, this smartwatch can go three days before needing a charge. And Samsung recently made the Gear S3 compatible with iOS, making this classic-looking watch a great alternative to Apple. It’s .
- Under Armour HealthBox: Couples that train together last for ever, or so Under Armour believes. Able to recognise up to eight users, the HealthBox is the world’s first connected fitness system to measure, monitor and manage fitness regimes. The Box, made in assocation with HTC, contains a UA band, scales and chest strap, all .
For the audiophiles
- UE Boom 2: Shakespeare said, “If music is the food of love, play on.” But getting your partner a lute may not be the best idea. Instead, opt for one of the best Bluetooth speakers available today, ideally in red. The UE Boom 2 is the 360-degrees wireless speakers with a powerful bass and features Siri and Google Now voice integration. , but check the stock before you pull out your wallet. .
- Audio-Technica turntables: If you’ve been hoarding vinyls from the years gone by, now is a great time to dig them out of the attic and play some of those old romantic tunes as some of the best turntables are in town. The Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB is a direct-drive turntable that boasts a USB output to connect to external devices like your computer and Mac- and PC-compatible Audacity software that digitises your LPs. And . If you’d like a more budget option, the Audio-Technica AT-LP60 is great for the casual listener and can be yours for .
- Sennheiser Momentum Wireless: Your special someone an audiophile worth spending some serious bucks on? Then give them the pleasure of being able to move around freely while listening to their favourite tunes through this awesome can. The Sennheiser Momentum wireless headphones boasts incredible audio fidelity backed by great comfort. . And if massive cans aren’t your partner’s thing, then the Momentum In-Ear buds would be perfect with their candy-apple detailing and they cost .
- Ruark Audio R1 Tabletop Radio: Oozing old-world charm, this tabletop digital radio is a must-have to set the mood. It’s encased in either walnut veneer or black and white lacquer and easily plays the numerous pre-loaded radio channels or can stream your Spotify Valentine’s Day playlist via Bluetooth. This elegant device .
For the globetrotters
- Tile: Is that special someone in your life constantly on the move and, as a consequence, misplacing keys, money, bags and whatnot? Well, this little white square will help you keep tabs on misplaced items via Bluetooth and a companion app. It’s slim, it’s waterproof and it sticks onto any item or attaches to a key ring. It’s a great gift idea on a budget and , while .
- Laser PB-CJ12000 Portable Power Bank & Car Jump Starter: Take a romantic road trip this Valentine’s Day and don’t think about how you’re going to keep your devices charged and be prepared for a car emergency as well. This Laser power bank is small enough to fit into any handbag and powerful enough to charge your phone or jumpstart your car or boat if the battery is flat. Depending on the car, you’ll get up to 20 starts from a full charge. And this portable lifesaver is .
- Mighty Purse: Gentlemen, if you’d like to keep your ladies charged up through the day as she goes about doing her thing, then the leather bags from Mighty Purse will do the trick. (or you could find an item on sale for cheaper) and they all come with a slimline battery to charge a smartphone.
For the bookworms
- Amazon Kindle Paperwhite: If you’re living with a book lover, then give them the convenience of carrying the library around with them. The latest avatar of the Kindle Paperwhite is the best yet. With Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity globally, downloading books anywhere is a breeze. The screen light is easily adjusted to suit the reading environment and the battery lasts a few weeks even with the light on. And it’s the most cost-effective Kindle too, .
- Kobo Aura H2O and Aura One: Is your significant other a bookworm who loves the beach or reading in the bath? Then the dust- and waterproof Kobo Aura H2O is the perfect reading platform. With speedy page turns and long battery life, it’s just like reading a book, and you can lay your hands on it . You could even consider gifting them the Kobo Aura One, which has a larger, beautiful screen and a high-quality reading experience. You can .
- Wacom Bamboo Folio: Love letters and romantic Post-it notes are so yesterday. But the charm of the love note hasn’t disappeared. This smart notebook will let you indulge in romantic hand-written wordplay with your lover and never allow these sweet nothings to get lost by safely storing them in the cloud. The Bamboo Folio is for the creative couples and notorious note makers who still enjoy writing with a pen. It comprises a smart pen and pad that with the push of a button lets you convert your handwriting into 'living' digital files. The Wacom Inkspace app can then organise, edit and share your musings and sketches with the world or a significant other. And it’s .
For the workaholics
- iPad Pro 9.7: If the workaholic in your life needs to get work done while on the move, then the iPad Pro is the best tablet for the job. The smaller screen and powerful innards ensure that the job gets done without being cumbersome. Along with the Smart Keyboard and the Apple Pencil, it’s the perfect companion for the palm or the bag. And the 32GB, Wi-Fi, rose gold version of this efficient piece of gadgetry is .
- Livescribe 3 Smartpen: The pen is mightier than the keyboard. Designed to take the pain out of digitising, archiving and sharing handwritten notes and sound recordings, its wide-ranging appeal spans anyone from note-taking business people to list-scribbling shoppers. Although, it has to be noted, that with this latest version, digitisation can only happen if the Livescribe’s proprietary dotted paper is used. And .
- Microsoft Sculpt ergonomic keyboard: If your loved one spends an inordinate amount of time typing away, a comfortable keyboard is a must. The layout of Microsoft’s Sculpt keyboard reduces pressure on the wrists, it’s wireless, has a separate, dedicated number pad its buttons are solid and comfortable. It’s great on the wallet too, setting you back just , which includes the Sculpt ergonomic mouse as well.
For the home (where the heart is)
- DeLonghi Icona Pump Espresso: Want to treat your significant other to lazy mornings? You’ll need the DeLonghi Icona Pump Espresso coffee maker that features a self-priming system to ensure the device is always ready for use. It takes both ground coffee and pods and mixes steam and air for the perfect cappuccino. Available in bright red, perfect for that Valentine’s Day cuppa, this coffee maker is .
- Cuisinart popcorn maker: , Cuisinart’s EasyPop hot air popcorn maker not only looks cool (in red), but makes ten cups of popcorn in three minutes. It doesn’t even need any oil, so it’s the perfect accompaniment for those home-based movie date nights.
- Philips Fidelio B5: And to make those movie date nights sound even better, treat yourself and your partner to one of the best sound bars available today. The Philips Fidelio B5 kicks bass without tearing up the living room, and without going over the four-digit mark on your credit card. .
- Panasonic Viera 55-inch HD TV: Want to cuddle up with your loveable couch potato and watch your favourite movies or TV shows together? You can get lots of screen without crossing the four-digit price point with Panasonic’s Viera DS610 smart TV. The Super Bright screen makes pictures crisper and brighter and features personalised home screens for each individual family member. Plus you can mirror what’s playing on the TV on a smartphone or tablet, and even record straight to USB. This slim beauty is .