Four out of the five biggest-selling games in the world last year were for the Wii, with only the top-spot free from Nintendo's clutches.
The Wii has been berated by hardcore gamers for the lack of games which don't involve using the Wii-mote as a novelty tennis racquet, but its popularity in the mass market cannot be denied and these latest figures prove that.
Although Modern Warfare 2 nabbed the top-spot, filling the remaining four places of the top five is some achievement for Nintendo.
The chart was compiled from data crimped from The NPD Group (North America), GfK Chart-Track (PAL) and Enterbrain (Japan) which cover the three largest markets for videogames.
The games in order of popularity are:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 – 11.86 million copies sold
- Wii Sports Resort – 7.57 million copies sold
- New Super Mario Bros: Wii – 7.41 million sold
- Wii Fit Plus – 5.80 million sold
- Wii Fit – 5.44 million sold