Four out of the five biggest-selling games in the world last year were for the Wii, with only the top-spot free from Nintendo's clutches.
The Wii has been berated by hardcore gamers for the lack of games which don't involve using the Wii-mote as a novelty tennis racquet, but its popularity in the mass market cannot be denied and these latest figures prove that.
Although Modern Warfare 2 nabbed the top-spot, filling the remaining four places of the top five is some achievement for Nintendo.
Article continues below
The chart was compiled from data crimped from The NPD Group (North America), GfK Chart-Track (PAL) and Enterbrain (Japan) which cover the three largest markets for videogames.
The games in order of popularity are:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 – 11.86 million copies sold
- Wii Sports Resort – 7.57 million copies sold
- New Super Mario Bros: Wii – 7.41 million sold
- Wii Fit Plus – 5.80 million sold
- Wii Fit – 5.44 million sold